Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Sales: Do they call you back after a negotiation?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking to get a feel for how this all works.

Viewed a brand new mid-range vehicle couple of days back. It ticks all boxes except the price which id like to get them to drop. Trading in a 2008 Ibiza which has a years tax just topped up, clutch and 4 Firestones replaced in March this year. Anyways i got valued at 5750 from salesman. A quick google shows an average price of similar specced cat at 6750.

Im tempted to mention this and try a haggle etc. They're selling on finance so i imagine there's some wiggle room.

However, id rather they called me first so am trying to leave it a few days. Is it likely (or the done thing) that a salesperson would call you back on this?

Thanks in advance for any sharing of experiences/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's the first week of the month, bad time to be looking for discounts. Wait until Tuesday, 30th September at about 16:30. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

why not put your car up for private sale and get something a bit closer to 6750 for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

It's the first week of the month, bad time to be looking for discounts. Wait until Tuesday, 30th September at about 16:30. ;)

Nice idea, he did mention that his quote only lasts until end of this month (Seat Finance offer).

Also just dont really want to call him back if theres a chance he would (would put the ball in my court re negotiation)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the asking price of 6750 from a dealer? If so then remember that this an asking price, it will have some fat built into it for negotiation and will also include pre sale prepping and a warranty. The dealer has to buy your car off you at a price to cover the above plus make a profit on it.

Now the dealer has given you a price on your car but realistically it probably is probably on low side and has room for some negotiation on that price but you are better off sitting in front of him/her in order to try and hammer home a better deal, they ain't going to ring you. I also suggest you go to another dealer selling the same brand and get a price from them for comparison and make them compete against each other for your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice idea, he did mention that his quote only lasts until end of this month (Seat Finance offer).

Also just dont really want to call him back if theres a chance he would (would put the ball in my court re negotiation)

He has already put the ball in your court as he has given you his price. This price will have some wiggle room in it but it is you who has to come back to the negotiating table and hammer out a deal if you are serious about buying. That's how it works in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Most main dealer garages log sales leads for follow up so if you showed enough interest the salesman should call you at some stage. They all seem to work on a decreasing price index so it can take some effort and a number of calls to get to a final end price. But you can be sure if you registered a good interest with him, he or someone will be back to you. (Assuming it's not a Rolls Royce or something and it would be considered positively obscene if they called you back!!!)

I agree with the other poster that month end is the best bet to get a quicker discount. If I were you I would use the time waiting for the salesman to call to check out another dealer and get a comparison price and be armed with that. Or even look at a similar quality and spec vehicle from another marque so that you can emphasise on the dealer that you are looking for the best deal rather than being tied solely to his model. That will remove any brand snobbery some garages can have and they will know you are in the market for a new car and not just thinking about it.

Good luck anyway, it's a nice feeling ordering a new car so enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is the asking price of 6750 from a dealer? If so then remember that this an asking price, it will have some fat built into it for negotiation and will also include pre sale prepping and a warranty. The dealer has to buy your car off you at a price to cover the above plus make a profit on it.

Now the dealer has given you a price on your car but realistically it probably is probably on low side and has room for some negotiation on that price but you are better off sitting in front of him/her in order to try and hammer home a better deal, they ain't going to ring you. I also suggest you go to another dealer selling the same brand and get a price from them for comparison and make them compete against each other for your business.

Agreed.

Dealer might not be that interested in your car.

Negotiations for the car that you want to buy might go better if you don't have a trade-in.

Unless the car you want to trade in is a really unusual model and spec (in a good way) or is in high demand used, you'll never get a valuation on your car that pleases you.

Advertisement