Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tall green shrub for privacy?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I recently moved to a new house and am doing up the garden bit by bit. In one raised border which is a particularly overlooked corner of the garden I've planted some bamboo, and because I don't yet have a vegetable plot I planted some potatoes in the space between a golden bamboo and an arrow bamboo. The potato plants grew really tall over the summer and I was surprised at how attractive they looked beside the bamboo. Now they're dying off and the potatoes will have their own raised bed next year, I'm looking to replace the potato plants with something permanent that looks similar. I'd like it to be:

- Fast-growing
    - Tall
    - Mid- or dark green foliage, preferably with round or wide leaves (the wide dark potato leaves looked really attractive against the pointy yellow-green bamboo leaves)
    - Flowers not needed, but I wouldn't mind a plant that flowered for a short time
    - It would be nice if I could find something that was partly tall and partly "weeping" (again to make a nice contrast with the upright bamboo).

The spot is against a white east-facing wall, sunny in the morning, shaded in the evening, and also shaded by the tall golden bamboo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tomatoes? :D

One that comes to mind is the standard pink Camellia - they are not fussy about soil, have attractive dark green glossy leaves and loads of pink flowers in the spring (which admittedly die off a bit unattractively as they go brown, but the flowers are worth it).

I am not sure what variety it is, but its the one you see everywhere in early spring. (Most camellias insist on acid soil)

Advertisement