Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kombucha brewing

Options
  • 04-09-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is the right board for this considering it's not wine, beer, or cider. Principles of fermentation apply to kombucha too though, so hope it's okay! :)

So I'm about to give my first brew of kombucha a try. I have a masters in biochemistry and have worked for a microbrewery for 7 years, but have never homebrewed anything myself before (I blame performance anxiety :p ). I think I have the theory pretty much down, but that pales to real-life experience as things can and will go wrong.

For those that don't know what it is, it's sugary tea that's fermented by a symbiotic colony of yeasts and bacteria. The yeasts produce ethanol just like in beer fermentation, but acetic acid bacteria converts that ethanol into organic acids. It has a load of supposed health-benefits, but not a whole lot of clinical evidence to back it up. Regardless, it's quite tasty when brewed correctly and is easy to flavour using fruit and herbs.

Was just wondering if there's any other kombucha brewers out there that have some advice to offer! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Hi all, not sure if this is the right board for this considering it's not wine, beer, or cider. Principles of fermentation apply to kombucha too though, so hope it's okay! :)

So I'm about to give my first brew of kombucha a try. I have a masters in biochemistry and have worked for a microbrewery for 7 years, but have never homebrewed anything myself before (I blame performance anxiety :p ). I think I have the theory pretty much down, but that pales to real-life experience as things can and will go wrong.

For those that don't know what it is, it's sugary tea that's fermented by a symbiotic colony of yeasts and bacteria. The yeasts produce ethanol just like in beer fermentation, but acetic acid bacteria converts that ethanol into organic acids. It has a load of supposed health-benefits, but not a whole lot of clinical evidence to back it up. Regardless, it's quite tasty when brewed correctly and is easy to flavour using fruit and herbs.

Was just wondering if there's any other kombucha brewers out there that have some advice to offer! :D

so if you left out the bacteria, you d have alcoholic tea. Jesus you d make a fortune selling that in Ireland.

sounds adventurous though, i ve seen the commercial bottles. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

so if you left out the bacteria, you d have alcoholic tea. Jesus you d make a fortune selling that in Ireland.

Barry's and booze, together at last!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Taking into count they have a own topic for that I would say they must have the experience in this. http://www.homebrewwest.ie/kombucha-193-c.asp

I know, if I'm able to reach someone they know what they sell and can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

You have the culture?I have been brewing kombucha for a good while now, use good quality organic tea,organic sugar and filtered water and just make sure the water is not to hot when you add the culture

You have the culture?I have been brewing kombucha for a good while now, use good quality organic tea,organic sugar and filtered water and just make sure the water is not to hot when you add the culture

I'm picking up a SCOBY off a friend of a friend on Monday, and also buying one from My Goodness in the Coal Quay market in Cork as a backup. Gonna set up a couple of "SCOBY hotels" with as many different ecotypes as I can my hands on. The main thing my research into the topic has shown me is that the SCOBY composition varies wildly geographically, and with it the flavours.

Where did you get your first SCOBY from?

• Advertisement

I'm picking up a SCOBY off a friend of a friend on Monday, and also buying one from My Goodness in the Coal Quay market in Cork as a backup. Gonna set up a couple of "SCOBY hotels" with as many different ecotypes as I can my hands on. The main thing my research into the topic has shown me is that the SCOBY composition varies wildly geographically, and with it the flavours.

Where did you get your first SCOBY from?

I got mine from a holistic doctor in Wexford all organic ingredients and good well water and sea air,where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Barry's and booze, together at last!!! :p

mrsdoyle-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jonziepoo

I got mine from a holistic doctor in Wexford all organic ingredients and good well water and sea air,where are you based?

Won't the composition change once you move it?

jonziepoo wrote: »
    Won't the composition change once you move it?

I have only moved it a km so couldn't tell you,it wouldn't be something I would worry about

I have only moved it a km so couldn't tell you,it wouldn't be something I would worry about

That is only one of the many factors, I'm also thinking about temperatures, sunlight, "food" and so on. Your final product could be slightly different from the original. Good luck and post your results! I'm interested in kombucha but don't know much.

• Advertisement

That is only one of the many factors, I'm also thinking about temperatures, sunlight, "food" and so on. Your final product could be slightly different from the original. Good luck and post your results! I'm interested in kombucha but don't know much.

See it should form a stable biofilm that keeps the different kinds of microbes in balance. This'll only happen if you store it correctly, at an acidic pH. Studies have shown that Irish SCOBYs have more lactic acid bacteria that American counterparts though, so I do wonder if the homeostasis of microbes in this country would eventually include lactic acid bacteria being included in a SCOBY brought from the States.

Based in Cork, flanaganred. My parter is from Wexford though, so we pop up there regularly enough. What's the name of this holistic doctor and where in Wexford are they based? Might see if I can get a hand on one of their SCOBYs! :)

First batch is started! Will have some in a week thanks to this glorious weather I'd say! They had sugar cane juice crystals in Natural Choice in the Paul Street Shopping centre. I read it's the best sugar source for it. Got my equipment from Delia's Kitchen, and of course I'm using good 'ol Barry's Gold Blend ;)

2014-09-08 16.56.12.jpg

Oh dear god it was SO GROSS!!!!! One had too much tea so it was like tannic vinegar, the other was basically just vinegar! Was not expecting that after a week! Will turn these batches into "SCOBY Hotels" and start another brew this week.

Oh dear god it was SO GROSS!!!!! One had too much tea so it was like tannic vinegar, the other was basically just vinegar! Was not expecting that after a week! Will turn these batches into "SCOBY Hotels" and start another brew this week.

:) Ha! the challenges of biochemistry!!
    I was speaking to a friend of mine recently, she has been making it for years, and she was telling me that they will all end up being vinegar if you leave it brewing for too long.
    What temperature do you have there? Maybe also use less Scoby?

:) Ha! the challenges of biochemistry!!
    I was speaking to a friend of mine recently, she has been making it for years, and she was telling me that they will all end up being vinegar if you leave it brewing for too long.
    What temperature do you have there? Maybe also use less Scoby?

That's right, if it's too sweet, all you have to do is taste it every day till it gets just right. If it's too acidic, tough luck, try again next time :p

I've it in a 27C incubator as I read that was the optimum temperature. The scoby I got off a friend is MASSIVE alright. The one I got from My Goodness is pretty big too. Each of them formed a nice-sized little daughter scoby, so those are what I'll use for my next ferment. It's actually loads of fun though :D

So, I'm getting kinda good at this! I have tonnes of SCOBYs now, so if anyone is looking for some in the Cork area, I can hook you up! I've got a couple of different cultures from around the UK and Ireland. Some make quite sour kombucha, and some make quite mild booch. I've just upscaled several cultures to 25L vessels for semi-continuous fermentation rather than batch, so I'll be producing a LOT of the stuff in the coming weeks!! :D

20141104_103558-EFFECTS.jpg

Good to see you've become a kombucha master :)
    I got my hands on a scoby too, seems to be working good. Any suggestions on the tea/sugar ratios and on type of teas to make it up?

Good to see you've become a kombucha master :)
    I got my hands on a scoby too, seems to be working good. Any suggestions on the tea/sugar ratios and on type of teas to make it up?

For stabilising the culture and getting it used to it's new home, use 100g/L white sugar and 2 black tea bags/L steeped for 10-15 minutes, with a 20% v/v inoculum (previous ferment). Ferment for 15-20 days at least at 25C.

For making a tasty kombucha beverage, use 60g/L evaporated cane juice crystals (you get get it in most health food shops) 1 white tea bag/L + 1 green tea/L steeped for no more than 10 minutes, with a 10% inoculum. Ferment for 8-12 days at 25C depending on your culture (mine is ready in 10 days, but every one is different). If you have pH strips, you can keep an eye on the pH that you find the beverage tasty at (I like mine about 2.9-3.0), but never ever drink a ferment that's above pH 4.5 as it usually means that something's gone wrong.

Post a pic of your next ferment, I've love to see other people's setup!! :D

I feel a bit self conscious here... my set up is a jug! no temperature control at all! I'll try and post a picture of the baby tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 taffyz

Kombucha. I have kombucha starter spare if anyone is looking to start up. Also looking for keifer grains if any one can help me. Living Cork city.

• Advertisement

taffyz wrote: »
    Kombucha. I have kombucha starter spare if anyone is looking to start up. Also looking for keifer grains if any one can help me. Living Cork city.

Virginia in My Goodness can hook you up with kefir grains. I also have tonnes of starter should anyone want to give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Icesun

Hi, I am looking for water Kefir grains. Would anyone have some to spare Tks.

Advertisement