Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't start after adding led lights

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all.

i got some LED case lights and attached them today...

I have two Fans which are directly connected to the power supply which have additional sockets for molar cables so i used them to connect LED lights.

I turned on the computer and the led lights lit up for a second and the computer crashed...

I disconnected LED lights and fans and it still wont work. The green light on the motherboard is flashing so there is still power.....

Any ideas as to what happened? Iv seen people connect multiple fans with molar connectors from a single cable to the power supply so i didn't think led light would be a problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Alex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

First thing to do is to plug out your PC and put every cable back as it was and check all the connections in case something became loose while you installed the lights, especially the 24 pin & 4/8 pin cables from the PSU to your motherboard.

If this does not work, you may have damaged your PSU, it might have been caused caused by faulty lights-e.g. wired to the molex connector incorrectly as in reversed polarity/applied 12V on to 5V.. Reverse polarity should not be an issue-most decent PSU's are protected by diodes...I know this after a near cable mix up after sleeving..:o Not sure how a PSU is protected from you crossed voltage(s), might have blown something.

Can you get a spare PSU to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

I presume theres more to the lights then just LED's? as plain LED's are such low resistance, they can actually short out a power supply if you dont have a resistor in line/series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Do you have a link to the LEDs you used?

You need to make sure the voltage drop of the LED is equal to the supply voltage.

Advertisement