Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temp insurance

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, will be exporting car outside of Europe, so need around 3 days of cover. Current insurance refuse to move temp cover so the last option i see is to get new insurance and cancel within 14 days. Anyone see other options?
    Cover need to be valid through Europe...
    Thank You!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Why do they refuse to move cover temporarily?
    In that case you could always move it permanently, and then move it back permanently 3 days later.

Where are you exporting the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

CiniO wrote: »
    Why do they refuse to move cover temporarily?
    In that case you could always move it permanently, and then move it back permanently 3 days later.

Where are you exporting the car?

Actually after another call they agree to move but it will be valid only in Ireland which is no use to me. Car is going to Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not actually sure they can do that? Not much use for Ukraine granted, but any car insurance sold in Ireland is valid on a third party basis throughout the EU for the duration of the policy.

Full insurance yes, valid, but temporary unfortunately not, at least what they said to me. Regarding Ukraine i am not even bother to be covered there on Irl policy, another one will be bought after i cross the border.

Theres no such thing as temporary insurance; they either cover you or they dont, and if they cover you then its valid third party anywhere in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

djimi wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as temporary insurance; they either cover you or they dont, and if they cover you then its valid third party anywhere in the EU.

I got temporary cover not long ago. I bought a car that I wouldn't be using for a while and got covered to bring it home.
    That was with RSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I think people are taking different meanings out of the phrase temporary insurance. OP, do you mean a short-term policy or a vehicle temporarily put on to your normal annual policy or your normal vehicle temporarily being taken outside of the EU???

oldyouth wrote: »
    I think people are taking different meanings out of the phrase temporary insurance. OP, do you mean a short-term policy or a vehicle temporarily put on to your normal annual policy or your normal vehicle temporarily being taken outside of the EU???

Any option to have it insured during 2 day trip across the Europe will fir purpose.
    My own insurance cant do it temporary but agree to move fully from current car for the additional charge 100+ and then another charge when i decide to move it back to current car. Temp cover not covering EU they said.
    At that moment i can only see one option is to get new one and cancel within 14 days - in this case i will be able to travel through and have all money back.

Sorry OP, I'm still lost as to a) what your current insurance arrangements are and b) what are you trying to achieve

I 'think' you are trying to put a car that you don't own on your insurance for a short period and then travel through a non-EU country. Is that it?

pavelpro wrote: »
    Any option to have it insured during 2 day trip across the Europe will fir purpose.
    My own insurance cant do it temporary but agree to move fully from current car for the additional charge 100+ and then another charge when i decide to move it back to current car. Temp cover not covering EU they said.
    At that moment i can only see one option is to get new one and cancel within 14 days - in this case i will be able to travel through and have all money back.

It might be worth checking that out with the insurance ombudsman; third party cover across the EU is manditory on any insurance policy sold in the EU, and I dont think they can turn around and say that they are not going to provide it. They might not be providing fully comp cover, but they cant decide they are not going to offer the minimum legal cover.

• Advertisement

It might be worth checking that out with the insurance ombudsman; third party cover across the EU is manditory on any insurance policy sold in the EU, and I dont think they can turn around and say that they are not going to provide it. They might not be providing fully comp cover, but they cant decide they are not going to offer the minimum legal cover.

Did he not say he was going outside of the EU?

He is going to Ukraine.
    Many Irish insurance policies would provide cover for Ukraine no problem.
    But anyway - OP said he only needs cover in the EU, as once he crosses Ukrainian border (Ukraine borders with EU) he can buy cover locally there.

And I quote:
    pavelpro wrote: »
    Temp cover not covering EU they said.

The problem here might lie with temporary vehicle substitution on OP's policy (as I'm assuming that's what OP is talking about).

I'm not sure if there is any other country in EU other than Ireland or UK that does such thing (temporarily amends vehicle on the policy).

As far as I know, Irish insurers don't issue insurance cert of disc in case of temporary substitutions. Without cert you can't drive abroad anyway.

Maybe logic behind it is that Policy which was issued in line with EU regulations was assigned to specific car. Once car is temporarily substituted, it doesn't necesserily mean that this amendment must apply to all EU insurance requirements.

But I'm just guessing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

OP, by reading through all your posts on this thread it seems that taking out a new policy on the car you intend to drive may be the only option.

There are a few of this that you will need to consider:

1. As this seems to be a 2nd car that you own, you should be aware that any car that you have insured will have to be registered in your name. If this is already done, happy days.

2. I'm assuming that you are already using your NCB on another car. This will mean that you will be paying a high premium as the insurance company will quote you with a zero ncb as you can only use this in one car. However, some companys may allow a discount for having been claims free on another policy. Since you are planning to cancel within the 14 cooling off period, this is fairly irrelevant but be aware that you may need to hand over a lot of money at the start of the policy (or pay by direct debit and cancel afterwards!)

3. If you are going to take out a new policy, make sure that your policy allows you to driver outside the EU (Obviously you would be checking this anyway) and ask if they charge extra for it.

That's all I can think of, hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

And I quote:

What the OP means, is that his insurance with the temp change does not cover the temp car in the EU.

I can't believe they want over €100 to permanently change to the 2nd car and then another €100+ to change it back to your original car. Madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Thanks all for answers!
    I already have 2 cars insured on my name with 6 and 7 years NCB on each as well i have another car (third) on my name too, which i intend to bring to Ukraine. I was trying to move insurance from second car to the third, its possible as temporary solution (1 week) but as insurer told me this will cover only Ireland (Axa through AA), as an option i ask them how much will be to permanently move second car ins to third and the price they quote was 120E for the move and then another unknown amount to move it back to the second car. Currently i have quite stupid situation - hell a lot of insurances and no use of them at all :)
    As chillywilly said the only one option i have is to buy the brand new one with 0y NCB and do cancellation within 14 days, this will cover me for the 2 days i am traveling up to UKR-PL border where ill get local insurance.

Advertisement