Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies foR LC

Options
  • 03-09-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everyone! I am contemplating changing from business to construction as I got a B in Woodwork HL and only got a B in OL business for the Junior Cert.

So if anyone has studied Construction for the LC I would love to know how hard it is, what do you actually study, is it similar to Woodwork for JC, the practical aspect etc?

Or should I stay with business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

For the leaving cert, the course changes quite a bit to that of the Junior. Many students think it's the same, and get a shock when they start into it. To put it in simple terms, you will have a fair idea on how to build a house after leaving cert construction. Foundations, windows, roof, door, planning permission, septic tanks, sustainable planning/living, lots more. Answer 5 qns in the exam, one of which is a compulsory drawing one. That's the theory side of things - worth 50% in a 3 hour exam for higher level. 25% go for the practical exam, where you will be asked to make an artifact, that will demonstrate your ability to make various joints etc. 25% for the project, can be loosely based on anything do do with the course, can be a more theory type project, with a model for example, or you can make a furniture piece. In my own view, it's a not that difficult of a subject and you can get good results if the work is put in. If you have the interest then you will like it. The main advantage is the fact that you potentially have half of the marks before you enter for the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Be careful, it has a low enough A rate but that could be down to the type of students that choose it. It's nothing at all like woodwork in a sense because the practical is only worth 10% (and the portfolio 15%) A lot of students spend months working on the practical and neglect the theory side even though it's worth the most amount of marks. If you've ever done TG or do DCG you'll find the mandatory drawing question easy enough, and I believe there's also a second optional drawing question.

If you put the work into the project & portfolio and prepare for the day practical you're up to 50% Then the theory test is nice enough because you have a fair amount to choose from.

If you're getting a B at OL Business I'd recommend that you switch, it's hard to get an A but a high B is very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Superdude1234

Thanks guys for all the advice :)

Advertisement