Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 euro build

Options
  • 03-09-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

1. What is your budget? [€500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/vmware workstation] (DOta2/cs:go/bf4/sc2)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive 1tb/DVD Drive/8gb 1600 ddr3 kingston hyperx] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. []

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1200] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 5 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [no]

This is the build I have planned, as I have al the other parts. Any help would be appreciated.

ASRock B85 Pro4, Socket 1150, ATX 59,70
    Corsair CS Series Modular CS550M 550W ATX 2.3 56,90
    Corsair Graphite Series 230T black 55,69
    Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm) 90,90
    Intel Core i3-4150 in-a-Box 98,17
    Sapphire Radeon R9 270 Dual-X, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, lite retail, 138,45

Thanks in advance guys.

Total amount 499,81

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks good, you could probably squeeze an R9 280 into the budget though if you wanted.

There are cheaper motherboard options and you could go with a 120gb ssd to free up the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ibDennis

Cheers Bloodbath, thanks for the advice,

I was looking at cheaper boards for the 1150 socket, but they didn't have pci e 3.0x16.
    Just looking to the future. Is pci e 3.0x16 pointless right now?
    The plan is to throw in an i5/i7 after xmas, and upgrade the Graphics card as well. Or would I be better off cutting the board and ssd now, to get the 280 card now?

No problem.

It's pretty pointless at the moment, afaik pcie2.0 doesn't even limit the likes of a gtx titan. 1-2% at the most.

It's obviously up to you though. The 270 is still a very good card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have to say the performance now for a €500 build is fantastic,for €100 more than a "next gen" console, this build will stomp all over either of MS or Sonys consoles atm.

And access to cheaper games and the extra functionality a PC has over the consoles its really crazy Sony or MS sell any consoles let alone the 15mil or so they have sold between them so far.

Could the PSU be cut back to a decent 450-500W even with the 280? Only a tenner or so less but at this budget even €10-15 helps. Might help fit the ssd in there,280's very power efficient from what i read. The new i3's are also so thrifty power wise as well,becoming a much better option than the traditional fx 6300 route

EDIT: Scratch that,it was the r9 285 with a lower TDP not the r9 280. 280 has a TDP of 250W so 500W PSU would be about right,450W might be a bit tight. The 285 has a TDP of 190W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Do go for the 280 if you can, drop the SSD to 120GB as mentioned as it is more than enough space for OS and frequently used programs. You will appreciate the 280 hugely, i moved from a 270 to 280.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help guys. Took the advice and halved the ssd, and upped to a 280. bought at hardwareversand, and they were all available when i put the order through.

They then reeived my payment, but im checking one of the components and it is now out of stock. Do they put aside the parts when you order, or do they wait till the payment?

They do but they can be unreliable.

I've ordered parts that were in stock when ordered but it turned out something was out of stock.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. The shipment is on the way:-) ecstatic!

Advertisement