Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help please-Sale gone wrong

Options
  • 03-09-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Am at my wits end here. Sold a little banger 2 weeks ago, for €400, private sale. car had nct and had been parked up since being tested. Person that bought it has turned around tonight and said that car has broken down and they want their money back. They have even said that they have been in touch with the guards and were told they have 28 days to get a refund ....
    What do I do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Private sale. Caveat emptor.

Tell them to piss off. They have no legal comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

^ sold as seen, tell them fob off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Moneymaker wrote: »

This

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Am at my wits end here. Sold a little banger 2 weeks ago, for €400, private sale. car had nct and had been parked up since being tested. Person that bought it has turned around tonight and said that car has broken down and they want their money back. They have even said that they have been in touch with the guards and were told they have 28 days to get a refund ....
    What do I do??

Tell them where they can put their head and empty threats, between their legs until they can kiss their arse.
    Private sale=caveat emptor.
    Provided you didn't knowingly sell them a car that wasn't safe to drive (and they'd have to be able to prove that) then they have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Relax. Don't answer their calls, don't respond to their texts. Don't do anything except sit back on your couch, have a glass of cold lemonade, and be thankful that you asked for advice before you gave those minions a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What do I do??

They are talking absolute ****e and attempting to frighten you into giving then a refund. There is no such law when it comes to a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

You're probably being scammed OP.

Once they hand over the cash to you, it's their car and their problem. Show 'em your middle finger and tell 'em to sit on it and spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

unless you have misrepresented the vehicle in some way or given a guarantee then they have no comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's these kind of situations that make a lot of people wary about letting a buyer know their address when selling a car privately. It's a lot easier to ignore calls and texts than it is to tell some big fcuker on your doorstep to eff-off....

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Thanks for the replies.
    As regards the condition of the car, I called it a banger, but only cos it's not the kind of car I'd drive but it was grand, passed the nct first time and only had 60 miles on it after the test. Sold it for an elderly family member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For €400 if it made it home from the sale I wouldn't have expected a whole lot more, would be thinking there may be issues. Some people expect a 142D car for €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They have even said that they have been in touch with the guards and were told they have 28 days to get a refund ....

No they f*cking well were not.
    Moneymaker wrote: »

This. Repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OP don't worry about it.

Text them saying you told them to check it over and bring a mechanic if they wanted.

Also state if you want that there was no known fault with the car that you were aware of.

Don't answer or be in contact after you text above.

This is something that is done a lot so tell them if they keep it up you will have to contac t the cops yourself and ask for their address and full name make sound serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It passed it's nct and was deemed roadworthy. You sold it in good faith as I assume your not a qualified mechanic and not qualified to know if anything was wrong with it.
    It was there responsibility to have a mechanic examine it prior to purchasing it.
    Private buyers buy as seen. In addition, you have no idea what they did to the car since they bought it.
    If they harass you call the gardai. The selling of the car is a civil issue but harassment isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No they f*cking well were not.

It honestly wouldnt surprise me if they were...
    OP don't worry about it.

Text them saying you told them to check it over and bring a mechanic if they wanted.

Also state if you want that there was no known fault with the car that you were aware of.

Don't answer or be in contact after you text above.

This is something that is done a lot so tell them if they keep it up you will have to contac t the cops yourself and ask for their address and full name make sound serious.

Or, better still, dont text at all. You entertain this nonsense even once and these clowns will never leave you alone. Dont engage them in dialogue at all; if they call/text ignore it, and if they show up at your door call the Gardai and report them for harrassment.

It was a €400 car; for that sort of money they should be glad that they were able to drive it home and that it didnt need to go on the back of a tow truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd be surprised if a €400 car didn't break down.

I have had this happen before and only one was genuine as engine blew piston through block and helped the guy out a bit which I didn't have to but he was genuine and so am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd be surprised if a €400 car didn't break down.

My 400 euro car is running great, touch wood.

Needed tyres and rear brakes(which I was aware of prior to purchase) but yeah you can get a car thats running well for that money. Big roll of the dice though obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Honestly for €400 if it happened to me and they came to me and explain I would probably give them their money back, but if they threatened me by saying they called the guards and lied about refund etc I would tell them to f*ck off. The worst thing about these situations is they know where you live more than likely.

suppose could come back to yours and leave the car :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I wouldn't tell them to pias off or be rude in anyway, to them that will seem like you knew you were selling them a dud and will only make things worse.

I would politely and calmly tell them the facts of the situation and that there is nothing more to be said on it.

If they get threatening or show up on your door step you call the guards on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

tossy wrote: »
    I wouldn't tell them to pias off or be rude in anyway, to them that will seem like you knew you were selling them a dud and will only make things worse.

I would politely and calmly tell them the facts of the situation and that there is nothing more to be said on it.

If they get threatening or show up on your door step you call the guards on them.

Tell them you contacted the Gardaí and were advised otherwise. End of discussion or Gardaí will be notified again.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

they paid 400 bucks , what were they expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Did they say what was wrong with it, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

They have even said that they have been in touch with the guards and were told they have 28 days to get a refund

Cheeky prick. Tell them in no uncertain terms to **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

String wrote: »
    Honestly for €400 if it happened to me and they came to me and explain I would probably give them their money back, but if they threatened me by saying they called the guards and lied about refund etc I would tell them to f*ck off. The worst thing about these situations is they know where you live more than likely.

Very naive and foolish to be honest unless you knew the person you sold the car to. You must have a money tree growing out the back if you can write off a 400 euro loss.

2 weeks is enough time in which a car can be ragged to death and just breakdown.

Advertisement