Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year - how bad is it? Any advice please ...

Options
  • 03-09-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Posted thread in the newbies section by accident. Completely new. How bad is 5th year? Just finished ty wondering if i have to workreally hard in5th? Ty has me fairly lazy tb. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

i just finished ty too :P yeah its hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

6th year here. Do work hard in 5th year eg write out notes do your homework and study for tests. I kept all those notes I wrote out and now I just have to open a folder and learn them. Really does save you time :)

Hi everyone,
    i just had a week and a half of 5thyear/LC1 and i found it quite hard to keep up with everything. i was just wondering how much you should study everyday on top of your homework. :):rolleyes:;):p

Hi everyone,
    i just had a week and a half of 5thyear/LC1 and i found it quite hard to keep up with everything. i was just wondering how much you should study everyday on top of your homework. :):rolleyes:;):p

Just do your homework and study for class tests. If you did TY it will take a while to get used to the workload.

Just do your homework and study for class tests. If you did TY it will take a while to get used to the workload.
    thank you :) but do you not need to study for other things on top of it to keep ahead of yourself?
    :confused:
    6th year here. Do work hard in 5th year eg write out notes do your homework and study for tests. I kept all those notes I wrote out and now I just have to open a folder and learn them. Really does save you time :)

thank you :) it does takeup alot of time tho :p

• Advertisement

thank you :) but do you not need to study for other things on top of it to keep ahead of yourself?
    :confused:

You can but you will most likely forget it all by June 2016. Find a routine that works for you :)

thank you :) it does takeup alot of time tho :p

Ah I know but trust me... I'm so glad I wrote up those notes last year, I've saved myself so much time for 6th year.

Ah I know but trust me... I'm so glad I wrote up those notes last year, I've saved myself so much time for 6th year.

better start trying to get into routine now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

I wouldn't get too hung up about study in 5th year tbh, but it's a good opportunity to lay a solid foundation in each of your subjects for leaving cert. Pay attention in class, do all your homework to the best of your ability, ensure you understand everything fully you do in class and probably most importantly, keep all your notes/folders as organised as possible for next year. I wouldn't spend hours upon hours studying, you'll burn out before LC year even comes around. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Threads merged as basically the same question from 2 different people ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Just to echo what everyone else said, do homework and stay on top of class tests and you'll be grand, do a bit of extra study coming up to exams too.

One thing I regret is not doing anything over the Summer. Even if all you do is organise your notes into folders that would make a huge difference. Or if you have a weak subject, make it your best one ;) ..3 months is a long time. Saying that, if you're not going for something along the lines of medicine it's probably unnecessary, it just reduces the stress & workload of 6th year.

thanks everyone :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I wouldn't advise anyone to study during the summer unless they're taking up an extra subject outside of school or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Nimr wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise anyone to study during the summer unless they're taking up an extra subject outside of school or something.

Depends how many points you're looking for. It certainly would have helped in my case as my course is 590 and counting :/

Even a few hours in the morning here and there and it would quickly add up, I don't mean to lock yourself in your room all Summer but when you're doing nothing else you might as well.

At the very least just organise your notes, it'd save so much time in 6th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

DO NOT STUDY DURING THE SUMMER BEFORE 6TH YEAR!

You'd be absolutely mad to! 6th Year drives most people bananas as is, extending that won't help one bit. Realistically you are not going to remember anything you did by the time exams come around either - whatever about organising notes, but the summer holidays are there for a reason - to give you a break and be fully rested. Don't waste those days of blissful nothingness for something that you'll be doing 24/7 for nine months solid anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Magnate wrote: »
    Depends how many points you're looking for. It certainly would have helped in my case as my course is 590 and counting :/

Even a few hours in the morning here and there and it would quickly add up, I don't mean to lock yourself in your room all Summer but when you're doing nothing else you might as well.

At the very least just organise your notes, it'd save so much time in 6th year!

I'd agree with this. Chipping off small amounts and properly understanding them is a big help when it comes to 'studying for real'. No need to cram and learn off stuff you don't really understand if you've worked consistently (albeit at a low level) all of 5th year. Topics that you properly understood while learning them will be retained much better and more easily than crammed stuff, which is quickly forgotten.

Advertisement