Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary level maths for JC and highe level for Leaving?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm just gone into 5th year now and I'm doing higher level maths, in junior cert I did OL and got a b... The only work I did was class work and homework, I actually enjoy higher level maths mainly because of the thinking involved in comparison to OL which is just following formulas etc..

My issue is that when ever I say I did OL for JC and I'm doing higher for leaving people look at me like i have two heads!
    You'd swear I committed a mortal sin...

I did Higher in 2nd year and was passing with 50s on average but I was a horrible student then in all my classes so when we went into some sections that I did not enjoy I dropped..
    I realise I was being a muppet but I'm trying to redeem myself here!

Is doing ordinary for JC and Higher for leaving possible? (granted I didn't suddenly transform into Sheldon cooper)

My teacher said he has no problem with me doing it and that I will have to put in extra work but there's no reason I shouldn't pass..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

OK firstly , all these new threads have to stop! You are spamming the forum !

Now , i got an A( 95% +)in HL JC maths ( got 9 As 1B ) and did the maths enrichment program in UCD this year . I like maths and am pretty good but after 1 year I am about an 70-80% student . The amount of work that needs to be covered is immensely different to JC maths . Its like comparing a 6th class essay to 6th year essay!

Unless you got a A in it in the JC I see there being no way in succeeding at HL maths unless you put serious work in. This will only take away from your other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Sean, I believe that you have every opportunity to succeed in Honours Maths IF you are willing to put the work in.

I wouldn't be worried about what you got on paper for the Junior Cert, especially if you know that you did not hit your POTENTIAL.

If an Ordinary Level B in Maths was well below your potential, then I believe that if you put the work in, you can score a good grade in the Leaving Cert.

What did you get in your other subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Theboybang wrote: »
    OK firstly , all these new threads have to stop! You are spamming the forum !

Now , i got an A( 95% +)in HL JC maths ( got 9 As 1B ) and did the maths enrichment program in UCD this year . I like maths and am pretty good but after 1 year I am about an 70-80% student . The amount of work that needs to be covered is immensely different to JC maths . Its like comparing a 6th class essay to 6th year essay!

Unless you got a A in it in the JC I see there being no way in succeeding at HL maths unless you put serious work in. This will only take away from your other subjects

I have to disagree with you on the statement about unless you received an A in the JC, there is no way of succeeding in HL Maths. I only got a C at HL JC yet I am in the same results bracket as you are now after a year.

Back to the original question, it is possible but you'll need to put a lot of work in. Just work until you get to the Summer Exam and see what your result is, see if the amount of work matches the result. If you put in hours of work yet are getting Cs, Ds and Es, it's not worth your time. Don't worry about it too much now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Everyone in my higher level maths class got A's and B's at higher level at Junior Cert and we're all pretty much struggling in higher level leaving cert. Also my school recommends those who did OL at JC do either ordinary or foundation level. I was also told an A1 at OL is the same as a higher level C3, it's your decision whether you are committed to work solely on maths or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

I say go for it. You will need to put in the work of 3-4 subjects to succeed but its worth it if you can get an honour. If employers look at your LC grades after college the main one they will judge is maths so do higher if you think you can. At worse you can drop at Christmas/Easter of 5th year and coast through OL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The higher maths for leaving cert level must really have dropped in the last 10 or 15 years.
    When I did the leaving, few people did higher leaving cert maths, maybe about 25 percent of those who did higher junior cert.
    To consider higher leaving without having done higher junior would have been laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Everyone in my higher level maths class got A's and B's at higher level at Junior Cert and we're all pretty much struggling in higher level leaving cert. Also my school recommends those who did OL at JC do either ordinary or foundation level. I was also told an A1 at OL is the same as a higher level C3, it's your decision whether you are committed to work solely on maths or not.

Nobody in my class got an A in HL maths for the JC and a few of us got Bs but it would be mostly Cs and the odd D. I wouldn't say that we are all flying through the course but I wouldn't say we are all struggling either. There is actually one person in our class who is doing the same as the op. In our summer test for fifth year he got one of the best results beating most people who did HL for JC. I certainly think it's possible to do and think you should stick at it for 5th year a make a better informed decision next year.

Troxck wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you on the statement about unless you received an A in the JC, there is no way of succeeding in HL Maths. I only got a C at HL JC yet I am in the same results bracket as you are now after a year.

Back to the original question, it is possible but you'll need to put a lot of work in. Just work until you get to the Summer Exam and see what your result is, see if the amount of work matches the result. If you put in hours of work yet are getting Cs, Ds and Es, it's not worth your time. Don't worry about it too much now!

Well i did get 93 in summer but as an average i'm around 80.....

I mean for it being worth his while , not getting an A and what have you

Advertisement