Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ex PSNi cars

Options
  • 03-09-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Would you buy an ex PSNI car?

Any issues I should consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I went to college with a girl who bought an ex psni passat tdi. Iirc it was in v good condition and the only problems she had were the Chinese rs6 alloys kept cracking but that was her own doing when she put them on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Any state owned vehicle will be dogged, police even more so, but religiously maintained. That said, the saving would have to be incredible to consider what is probably an extremely high mileage vehicle and a vehicle thats been on the go probably 24/7 for a number of years. You then have to import it, assuming you are in the Republic. I can't see this being cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a good few lads on the Volvo forums with ex police V70's in England. From what I can gather they are in reasonable condition for the age and mileage. Spec is generally poor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Remember years ago in the auctions in south where ex garda vehicles would come in and sound and look rough but always fetched big money.

See a lot as taxi 's.

Wouldn't mind getting a VRs or st focus or Mondeo from north.
    They have some nice motors up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Tell me it's something interesting like a Tangi :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

This is a Golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would the armour plating not be a hassle, lowering mpg!

Zipppy wrote: »
    This is a Golf ;)

Unless its an R32 or GTi I can't see the financial sense to import it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

ironclaw wrote: »
    Unless its an R32 or GTi I can't see the financial sense to import it? :confused:

PSNI had some .:R32's!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would love 1

• Advertisement

ShaunieVW wrote: »

Yeah, saw a lovely one near Lisburn one day. Very nice car. But again, with the lunacy of tax and petrol costs here, along with the import duty, it would have to be an absolute bargain to bring over the border.

ironclaw wrote: »

Because its very keenly priced and would be about 1k-1.5k less than a similar model here even after exchange and vrt...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Got pulled over by one of those R32s a few years ago. Not fun :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Because its very keenly priced and would be about 1k-1.5k less than a similar model here even after exchange and vrt...

IMO that's not enough of a saving given where it is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm only guessing, but if you can live with holes bored in the dash, very worn seats and interior and you're willing to remove the seats, carpets etc and do an epic epic valet, seriously sanitise the interior taking in to consideration who was transported in the car (druggies, drunks, injured maniacs, and lots of drivers) an ex-cop, well maintained performance car could be a good buy! I'd imagine it would be hard to shift in a few years though.

Good thread Zippy, let us know if you decide. Does anyone know if they sell off the defender "pigs"?

I'd wear thick rubber gloves doing the cleanout!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ShaunieVW wrote: »

They also had some W8 engined Passats. 270bhp 4 litre engines.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm only guessing, but if you can live with holes bored in the dash, very worn seats and interior and you're willing to remove the seats, carpets etc and do an epic epic valet, seriously sanitise the interior taking in to consideration who was transported in the car (druggies, drunks, injured maniacs, and lots of drivers) an ex-cop, well maintained performance car could be a good buy! I'd imagine it would be hard to shift in a few years though.

Good thread Zippy, let us know if you decide. Does anyone know if they sell off the defender "pigs"?

I'd wear thick rubber gloves doing the cleanout!

I think I've been well turned off at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

I think I've been well turned off at this stage :rolleyes:

On the other hand, it could be a well-looked-after car. Pukers and druggies tend to be put into the back of a Transit, not a VW Golf.

I have seen a few absolutely stinking (literally) and badly presented private VW Golfs on car lots in Palmerstown for sale, so you are not guaranteed good/bad whichever direction you go.

I would go and at least see the ex-cop car, no obligation to buy

Advertisement