Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock Photography

Options
  • 03-09-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I am a photographer in my spare time and looking to make a few bob on the side. My friend suggested getting involved in stock photography. Can anyone recommend a website for this? Share their experiences...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Getty has pretty much cornered the market for stock over the last few years. Also, your chances of making any money are vanishingly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Em_Reilly

Thanks for the response!

I had the same concerns, so many photographers on Getty which has put me off as my photos may never be seen.... if anyone has any other suggestions of sites where they've had a bit of luck perhaps. Its more of a hobby so I'm open to trying at least! Could be a good platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The reason most people don't do well with stock photos is because they put up fancy landscapes and other arty shots that are usless to the people who go looking for stock photos.

What you need to do is put up pictures of some grining bird with a telephone headset on. I've seen one of those photos used countless businesses. Or some pretty boy using an ipad in an office.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The reason most people don't do well with stock photos is because they put up fancy landscapes and other arty shots that are usless to the people who go looking for stock photos.

What you need to do is put up pictures of some grining bird with a telephone headset on. I've seen one of those photos used countless businesses. Or some pretty boy using an ipad in an office.

yeah for sure. People who shoot off their own bat and stick it into stock get nowhere. People who shoot specifically FOR stock are the only ones making whatever pennies there are to fight over.

One of my flickr contacts for example, https://www.flickr.com/photos/catmacbride a lot of her stuff is explicitly tailored for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Em_Reilly

yeah for sure. People who shoot off their own bat and stick it into stock get nowhere. People who shoot specifically FOR stock are the only ones making whatever pennies there are to fight over.

One of my flickr contacts for example, Cat Mac Bride, a lot of her stuff is explicitly tailored for stock.

Her stuff is awesome! That's the kind of thing I'm hoping to do, shooting FOR stock as a hobby/project and to earn some cash ;)
    I'd really rather not shoot the usual cheesy stuff though but I came across a site called Stocksy. They have beaut images for stock without the cheese. The only thing is they seem to be super difficult to get signed up with, so I'm looking for somethin along those lines..... can anyone inspire me?!

• Advertisement

where do you host your stuff at the moment ?

As regards content, I'm sure a quick google of 'how to shoot for stock' or something will probably give you 5 bajillion tutorials and how-tos and pointers as to what will sell and what won't etc etc. 99% of it is probably complete and absolute nonsense.

Advertisement