Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kubrick season @ the Light House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Cheers OP just booked 2001 A Space Odyssey in Nov, have never seen it on the big screen. Tempted by Spartacus, Eyes wide shut and full metal Jacket. Am also highly tempted by Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon. In fairness I could go to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Cheers OP just booked 2001 A Space Odyssey in Nov, have never seen it on the big screen. Tempted by Spartacus, Eyes wide shut and full metal Jacket. Am also highly tempted by Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon. In fairness I could go to them all.

You are in for a treat.
    When it was first released I remember, quite vividly, going to the cinema to watch it. I would have been fairly young and hadn't a clue what was going on but the visuals were just wonderful.
    I revisited the film in my early 20's and it was just a magical experience.

Just checked and it was made in 1968. (Good grief, I suddenly feel a little old):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Has it been confirmed yet what format (other than DCP for 2001) they're in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If they only saw fit to comment on 2001’s format, then I think we can fairly assume the rest are Blu-rays or DVDs. And there’s no guarantee 2001 is a proper DCP either. “Digitally remastered print” may mean Blu-ray or DCP sourced from the Blu-ray encode.

This is why I don’t bother with classic screenings anymore unless they are 35mm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Lighthouse has been good with 35mm in the past, so wouldn't rule it out.

Absolute pain they don't say the format though, it's such an easy thing to add to a listing, and even if it is just a BluRay I couldn't imagine it significantly eating into their audience if they were upfront about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They're having one over here in October as well, 2001 is 35mm so I'll definitely be going to that. http://www.tiff.net/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/stanley-kubrick-exhibition

I've been to a few classic screenings now and some are blu-rays some are prints, you can nearly always tell. It's weird cos Ghostbusters got a pretty big 30th anniversary release but the picture quality wasn't great, it looked worse than a blu-ray but I don't think it was a print? unless its was scanned from the print to be shown digitally or something.
    The showed Predator and it was the horrible way looking blu-ray transfer but I didnt really care cos, y'know it was predator :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GDMF

Hi guys, Re formats: all of the Kubrick Season Films are in DCP except the screenings of 'Fear and Desire' which is only available in Blu-Ray, so it was either that or not show it at all. But don't worry the quality is very good

Advertisement