Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car tax issue

Options
  • 03-09-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello

Recently bought a 2008 focus ST. It was out of tax when I bought it on the 11th of august and the tax was up on the 1st of august. I was then away for 2 weeks up until a few days ago. However I only recieved the log book whilst I was away. Just wondering am I liable for the month of august despite not actually having the log book? Tax isnt cheap on this car so dont want to pay a month of arrears for nothing! any help greatly apreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You'll be liable for tax from the 11th of August unless you declared it off the road WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT until a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jamiemaguire

professore wrote: »
    You'll be liable for tax from the 11th of August unless you declared it off the road WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT until a few days ago.

Thought as much, thanks. New system is a joke, I know it was abused by some people but in situations like this its really frustrating!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

professore wrote: »

Just to keep things technically correct, you are liable for motor tax from the first day of the month in which you bought.

If you bought a car on the 29th September, and the tax was up on the 31st August, you are liabl from the 1St September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You have 10 days from the date of 'transfer of ownership' to declare the car SORD.
    Obviously this didn't apply to yourself as you were away when the VLC arrived.....
    ....to be honest it wouldn't be unusual for the VLC to take more than 10 days to arrive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

It is possible now to tax a car that I just bought on the tax website or does the first tax still have to be done in the tax office? I won't have a PIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peejy wrote: »
    It is possible now to tax a car that I just bought on the tax website or does the first tax still have to be done in the tax office? I won't have a PIN

Has the car officially been transferred over to you yet? If not then you will probably have to go into the motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

peejy wrote: »

Yup. you can retrieve the pin via the "forgot pin" link. Once the car shows online as transfer of ownership completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

Thanks guys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yup. you can retrieve the pin via the "forgot pin" link. Once the car shows online as transfer of ownership completed.

+1

I've done this with my last 3 cars.

Advertisement