Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which insurance company?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I'm 25 with a VW GOLF 1.9.
    I had a provisional licence for 2 years and another one renewed now.
    I want to get insured under my fathers name until I get the full.
    The father has no claims at all in the last ten years and hes about 50 years on the road.
    Liberty quoted me €840 straight out for the year, and that was the best I got.
    Does anyone have any suggestions who'd beat that, maybe quotedevil?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My boyfriend has a VW GTI, has a full license but most of the insurers don't want to insure him until he's over 30. He's 29 now and has been with Aviva for the last few years. They're pretty competitive price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

you mean they quoted your dad €840. Is the car registered in his name or your name? Because if it yours you'll have issues making that fraudulent claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HairyJim

peteb2 wrote: »
    you mean they quoted your dad €840. Is the car registered in his name or your name? Because if it yours you'll have issues making that fraudulent claim.
    I would be a named driver but it's my car

Well then as I said if the car is registered in your name and it gets written off and your dad is insured policy holder, you ain't getting squat.

Well then as I said if the car is registered in your name and it gets written off and your dad is insured policy holder, you ain't getting squat.
    okay thanks lad, anyway to change the vehicle in his name?

• Advertisement

Yeah transfer of ownership on the VLC as though you were selling in and post it to Shannon.

Driving it to and from work?

Yeah transfer of ownership on the VLC as though you were selling in and post it to Shannon.

Driving it to and from work?
    ah right cheers, I'll be driving to and from college.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

840 sounds okay to me, but make sure you try everywhere and be sure of any small print with your circumstances as you shouldn't be driving on your own and this might affect your insurance if you do have a tip.

salmocab wrote: »
    840 sounds okay to me, but make sure you try everywhere and be sure of any small print with your circumstances as you shouldn't be driving on your own and this might affect your insurance if you do have a tip.

Thanks man, yeah I'll be sure to read the bit they don't want us to read. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Both your suggestions are going to lead to trouble. The second option of putting the car in your fathers name but you been the main driver will nullify your policy and cause difficulties if you are involved in an accident. Its called "Fronting"

Secondly without a full license holder with you, insurers wont pay out for your own losses and will seek recovery for any third party losses incurred.

The first suggestion will also cause you problems as stated by peteb2.

If you are involved in an accident under theses circumstances it could cause you issues getting insurance in the future.

Just obtain a quote in your own name but remember the learner permit will be a issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement