Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Avensis 1.6 clutch kit - flywheel ?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi mechanics!

I need to change clutch on my 2004 Toyota Avensis ( 1.6L engine )
    I ordered clutch kit from Micksgarage and made appointment with mechanic to change that clutch (next monday)
    He told me that he is not really sure if flywheel needs to be changed as well - something to do with older type and newer type of motors (I did not understand that part very well) and he will know only when he start to take this clutch thing apart.

If flywheel needs to be changed then it will delay fix for another day or so that part needs be ordered and delivered.

As I need my wheels every day I can not afford to wait those extra days.

But also I don't want to order flywheel just in case as it might be not needed - plus its quite expensive.

Can somebody point me out if my car needs this flywheel or not,please?

I will add link for item I may/or may not need to order - if it gives any help:
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=3460392

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Hi mechanics!

I need to change clutch on my 2004 Toyota Avensis ( 1.6L engine )
    I ordered clutch kit from Micksgarage and made appointment with mechanic to change that clutch (next monday)
    He told me that he is not really sure if flywheel needs to be changed as well - something to do with older type and newer type of motors (I did not understand that part very well) and he will know only when he start to take this clutch thing apart.

If flywheel needs to be changed then it will delay fix for another day or so that part needs be ordered and delivered.

As I need my wheels every day I can not afford to wait those extra days.

But also I don't want to order flywheel just in case as it might be not needed - plus its quite expensive.

Can somebody point me out if my car needs this flywheel or not,please?

Thanks!

It's really down to the state of your flywheel, if it's good it doesn't need it.
    If bad then it'll need it.
    Any motorfactors should have one in Stock though. Should be fit to be done in the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A 2004 Avensis petrol doesn't have a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) so unless it has become very badly scored from a worn clutch disc which is highly unlikely, the flywheel should not need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Nobody mentioned DMF but anyway, 99% of the time the flywheel in the 1.6petrol Avensis doesn't need to be changed.
    I'm working on Toyotas 17 years and I have never changed one..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Id say his mechanic mentioned the DMF, that's what probably raised the question in the first place. He's talkin thru his a*** if he thinks this car needs a flywheel. It uses the same clutch as the Carina E from 1992.
    Anyway, no, you wont need a flywheel OP.
    And no motor factor worth their salt would waste shelf space keeping one in stock either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement