Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are stock rom native devices more reliable?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

I much prefer the idea of just using Android in its pure form as released and updated by Google, I also hate all the bloatware and unnecessary crap other manufacturers (and networks) stick on a phone as well as being able to google answers to how to do stuff, with most steps being for stock rom set ups.

When I've got a new phone in the past, I've always put a stock rom on it. Sometimes though, some things just don't work, apps shutting down or not working how they are meant to etc and I'm wondering is this incompatibility to do with the device itself, or something else?

I have a lend of a Sony Z1 Compact to try out, but I'm reluctant as it's full of bloat and Sony seem to have their own rom. I'd much prefer if it just had the stock rom but I'm not sure if putting the stock rom will then limit some features of the phone itself (such as the full functionality of the camera).

So does the device itself affect the compatibility and reliability of a stock rom, or would it make no difference? Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Go for the Nexus range.
    Cuts out any headaches around updates and bloatwate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I made this thread after seeing Nexus 5 bargain alerts here on boards and was thinking instead of the Z1 compact, maybe I should just look at Nexus phones, but I want the compact size and great battery of the Z1 compact at the same time. But going for the Nexus would maybe cut out any messing about with unlocking and rooting and then reliability of app performance etc?

So it does actually make a difference then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Yes it's more reliable for a few reasons.

1. Stock Android has less potential things to go wrong with apps / design etc. (as opposed to TouchWiz, Sense etc.)
    2. Google put a lot of time and attention into design and functionality - even items like icons get teams of people working on them.
    3. AOSP has a huge consumer base, constantly reporting bugs in the OS - Google can fix and publish an OTA within hours if needs be.
    4. Non stock phones like TouchWiz may never get bug fixes and updates due to age, memory restrictions from their own bloatware.

If you get the Z1 Compact, stick CyanogenMod11 onto it and you've got a quality piece of hardware with stock Android.

Since CM11 is freely available for the Z1 Compact (and Nexus 5), it's a matter of preference (screen size, camera, design). Which do you like?

Thanks a lot for that.

I'm not too sure though if you're saying a Nexus will always be more reliable than the likes of a Z1 compact as it was made with the Stock Rom in mind, or if the Z1 compact would be just as reliable if the CM11 Stock rom was put on it?

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for that.

I'm not too sure though if you're saying a Nexus will always be more reliable than the likes of a Z1 compact as it was made with the Stock Rom in mind, or if the Z1 compact would be just as reliable if the CM11 Stock rom was put on it?
    What I'm saying is both phones are very good hardware wise but the software differs. That's where CyanogenMod comes in which can be installed on either phone so the decision should ideally come down to which phone you prefer (as opposed to not choosing the Z1 due to Sony's custom version of Android).

If CM11 wasn't available, of course the Nexus would be the more reliable phone software wise since it's stock with more potential updates - but since it is available for both, it's now a matter of choosing with phone you prefer for it's hardware features. Software reliability is not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The functionality of the camera would be effected in the sense that if you move away from Sony's rom you will lose Sony's native apps which wont work on other non Sony Z1 based roms, such as their camera app, and the features of it like the timeshift function etc and anything else software related to do with the camera, but a third party camera app will work on the new rom (just like it would work on Sony's rom) (including the camera app, if any, that comes with the new rom) so you'll still be able to take photos and video etc and use the software features of the new camera app fine (except perhaps the physical camera button to quick launch the camera as a third party camera app won't take this button into account.)

Similarly you'd lose other native Sony apps and functionality such as Sony's lock screen, clock etc but there are third party options for those things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I cant recommend the Nexus range enough but there is an ever so slight downside to the Nexus range, all though its nowhere near a couple years back the problem is being a Nexus user your going to get major updates first, big jumps like Kit-Kat to L can see certain apps start to act strange or simply not work, a couple years ago this would happen on say a 3rd of my apps, now its maybe one or two.

Its a very small price to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Moto g is a bit smaller than nexus 4 or 5 and has as near as makes no difference to AOSP on it.

Thanks a lot for the continued input folks.

So just to clarify, stock android installed on a Z1 compact (say through cyanmodgen), would be just as reliable as the stock android that comes pre-installed on a nexus, regardless of the fact that stock android isn't the native ROM of the Z1 compact? So as long as it's up and running, they should be reliable as eachother, or would the nexus have an edge given that it's natively built for stock android?

Also just to note, I like to just set up a phone and never have to think about reinstalling roms etc again, this is why I prefer stock and being able to update without wiping everything. My phone is constantly in use for work so the less downtime the better, and reinstalling a ROM takes usually 2 days to set everything up the way I had it, I'm slightly OCD with this stuff and don't like to reinstall with the likes of titanium backup and prefer to start with a fresh install and just set it up again. If keeping the Z1 compact up with the nexus in terms of updates meant having to reinstall a ROM, then the nexus would be much preferred.

I think I remember about the Z1 compact camera having a special app to take advantage of the full functionality of the camera and the stock app couldn't utilise the full functionality, can't remember exactly.

So just to clarify, stock android installed on a Z1 compact (say through cyanmodgen), would be just as reliable as the stock android that comes pre-installed on a nexus, regardless of the fact that stock android isn't the native ROM of the Z1 compact? So as long as it's up and running, they should be reliable as each other, or would the nexus have an edge given that it's natively built for stock android?

Underneath, it's just Android with Sony's modifications so stock Android can and does work perfectly well - just as reliable as stock in my opinion (it was a lot different years ago, nowadays CyanogenMod is a huge million dollar business with tonnes of support, even from the manufacturers). The Nexus of course is stock by default so less likely for anything to go wrong.
    Also just to note, I like to just set up a phone and never have to think about reinstalling roms etc again, this is why I prefer stock and being able to update without wiping everything. My phone is constantly in use for work so the less downtime the better, and reinstalling a ROM takes usually 2 days to set everything up the way I had it, I'm slightly OCD with this stuff and don't like to reinstall with the likes of titanium backup and prefer to start with a fresh install and just set it up again. If keeping the Z1 compact up with the nexus in terms of updates meant having to reinstall a ROM, then the nexus would be much preferred.

You won't have to wipe each time - again things are different nowadays. I run my phone with CM11 nightlies and can run updates each day, week or month if I wish but these are incremental updates so no data loss or setting up of apps over and over. You would be better off using the official CM Installer process - CM is installed and updates officially OTA just like a stock ROM, it's really easy to do as well. If you get the Z1 and do this from the get go, this will now be your ROM to setup (just like you would have to with any new phone) and updates will come automatically, just like traditional OTA ones. The installer does all the work for you too.

http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install
    I think I remember about the Z1 compact camera having a special app to take advantage of the full functionality of the camera and the stock app couldn't utilise the full functionality, can't remember exactly.

This is partially true, you are referring to the Bravia Engine. My last phone was the Xperia Z1 and I flashed (almost immediately) to CM11 and initially the camera didn't work correctly because I was an early (and impatient) user of CM11 but as soon as Sony publicized the latest firmware and source code, CM updated and I had no issues with the functionality of the camera (including the dedicated camera button) and here's a sample 20MP photo from it (Lady's Beach, Kusadai). There are some nice extras in the Sony camera application itself but you can sideload this, use a 3rd party app or use Google's excellent Camera app on the Play Store (a favourite of mine).

If you wish to restore to stock in the future, just remember to backup the TA Partition first (essential for the Bravia engine to work). See below:

"The TA partition of the device contains DRM keys, Bravia Engine code and warranty of your device. If the TA partition is lost once, it can not not be recovered. You cannot claim warranty. The Bravia Engine will not work in Album app. If you backup TA partition before unlocking the bootloader, then you can restore it right away after locking it again and get back the DRM keys intact, Bravia Engine working in Album app and warranty can be caimed again. In short, your phone will be back in factory state once again."

Since you can restore the TA, relock the bootloader and restore to stock - there is no risk here and I'm here anytime if you wish help with the process.

• Advertisement

Wow, thanks a lot for all that :)
    advertsfox wrote: »
    The Nexus of course is stock by default so less likely for anything to go wrong

So even though the CM port will be pretty on par with stock on a nexus, the nexus may be slightly less likely to have anything go wrong?

That's great to know that CM now has OTA updates, that makes a huge difference and would make a big impact on choosing a phone for the hardware, which is of course the reason I'd be going for the Z1 compact, with particular attraction to the size, battery and performance. The camera of course is a nice bonus :)

I'm currently using an XT890 Motorola Razr i, which is fine for every day use, but when it comes to driving long distance (which is a big part of what I do) and I'm using google maps, listening to music and taking (handsfree of course :D) phone calls it can slow down a lot and needs a restart to get it refreshed.

Now, out of curiosity, are you by chance around Dublin and would like some paid work to sort a few phones out (installing CM on 3 Razr I's - all rooted and unlocked - and installing CM on 2 Z1 Compacts which as far as I know aren't rooted and aren't unlocked). I much prefer to leave this stuff to experts rather than having to learn a new trade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Could you pop the Google now launcher on to the Z1?
    I know a couple of people with Samsung phones who were delighted with it.

Hmm decisions decisions. The Z3 compact is now out and it's actually a lot cheaper than expected and only going to cost me about €80 more than buying the z1 off my friend (since I can claim the VAT back on the Z3).

How long do these ports usually take to happen? If it's going to be 6 months to a year before CM11 appears on the Z3 and is stable, I might just go for the Z1, but if it'll be out in a few weeks, I think I'd go for the Z3 and let my friend sell his Z1 elsewhere..

Advertisement