Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home-educated sitting the Leaving Cert

Options
  • 02-09-2014 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Ok. I am a home-educated student (17) planning on sitting the LC in 2015. What are my options in terms of arranging a test centre? I would prefer (vastly) to do much of the study myself as I have never been to school. I am pretty sure of doing well, so study time/materials is not an issue, purely the exam itself.
    All help will really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You'll be an "external candidate".

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

Looks like you can't apply yet, that'll be January 2015.

Yours is not an unusual situation.
    For instance many people who repeat at grind schools sit the exam as an external candidate at a school convenient to their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you checked all the regulations regarding subjects with project work, or are you avoiding them?

I've been kind of trying to avoid subjects with coursework. I specifically dropped History, Geography and RE for this reason. On the other hand I am doing all three sciences which have "Mandatory Experiments" Hopefully all you are required to do there is memorize the given experiment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

That's not sufficient. You are required to have records of completing and writing up the practicals. Here's the regulation:
    "Chemistry, Physics, Biology:
    As the syllabus in each of these subjects has been drawn up on the basis that candidates will devote an appropriate amount of time to laboratory work (in Chemistry and in Physics), and to practical/laboratory work and fieldwork (in Biology), a candidate will not be admitted to the Leaving Certificate examination in any of these subjects in any case where the Commission considers that an adequate course of such work has not been followed by the candidate. For this purpose, records of the work done should be kept and be available for inspection or for submission to the Commission."

However, I believe that there are institutions where you can go to carry out and write up all the experiments over a short intensive period - a day or two I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

That's not sufficient. You are required to have records of completing and writing up the practicals. Here's the regulation:
    "Chemistry, Physics, Biology:
    As the syllabus in each of these subjects has been drawn up on the basis that candidates will devote an appropriate amount of time to laboratory work (in Chemistry and in Physics), and to practical/laboratory work and fieldwork (in Biology), a candidate will not be admitted to the Leaving Certificate examination in any of these subjects in any case where the Commission considers that an adequate course of such work has not been followed by the candidate. For this purpose, records of the work done should be kept and be available for inspection or for submission to the Commission."

However, I believe that there are institutions where you can go to carry out and write up all the experiments over a short intensive period - a day or two I think.

Nobody checks them for leaving cert . They are only checked at junior certificate .

I'll look up doing the practicals in that short periods. A friend of mine told me that in their school nobody does ALL the experiments on the course. (And nobody checks) However things might be different for a home - educated student
    Thanks for all the replies!

*period

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would think if anyone is going to be checked, it would be non-standard external students, so it's probably safest get them done. Better for learning the subject too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

shilly shill shill

I hope your accounting is a lot better than your shilling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,122 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I hope your accounting is a lot better than your shilling
    Nice spot, but next time, delete the shill's contact details from their post, if you quote it.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Didn't cop it myself tbh, thanks for reporting, esel, done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    I'll look up doing the practicals in that short periods. A friend of mine told me that in their school nobody does ALL the experiments on the course. (And nobody checks) However things might be different for a home - educated student
    Thanks for all the replies!

Nobody might check, but not all schools are like that. My students do all of the experiments and extra on top. I'm sure there are plenty other schools the same.

Advertisement