Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late 2006 iMac - rescued from electric waste

Options
  • 02-09-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Two years ago this forum was very helpful in helping me build a gaming PC from scratch. Here I return again for your advice!

This morning I rescued an iMac (late 2006, Intel) from a electric waste bin (WEE or something).
    The specs of the iMac in question: (boards.ie isn't allowing me to post URLs; type the serial code "w870401kwar" in everymac (dot) com).

After plugging in a mains cable, it turned on (so PSU works), but the screen suffers infamously from what many iMacs from that period tend to get. Mine is totally black on one half with lines vertically coming down. I can barely see an error message on the screen (a "question mark"; I presume the original owner wiped the HDD clean before dumping it).

So what I liked to ask everyone on this forum are two questions:

1) How should I get this thing to work?

I can get a mini DVI to HDMI (or DVI) adapter to at least get the video out from the iMac to my 23" 1080p monitor to temporarily solve the lcd screen problem.

Apparently the max MacOS it can run is X 10.7.5. How would I get that fixed?

2) Worth upgrading?

Of course this is dependent on whether or not I can get the thing to work.

a) upgrade the RAM from 1gb to 4gb.
    b) replace the 160gg HDD with a 128gb SSD.

It's nice to get find an iMac for free and I don't mind spending a bit of money to get it off the ground and working again.

Comments

Advertisement