Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CS Uni - Computer Science at University

Options
  • 02-09-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

CsUni.org was started for a few good reasons:

1. When I was at the stage where I was making my University application (and well before this), I found numerous resources from the varying Universities on the outline of their respective Computer Science (CS) courses.

These materials usually consist of brochures and brief outlines of core course curriculum and topics, but rarely give a deeper, more tangible insight into the course itself. What i really wanted to see was the subjects I would be studying, the projects I could potentially work on and the day-today environment that I would be in.

2. I am a mature student, by age at least. As such I am now a little more settled and certain of my aspirations in academic and professional senses. I believe, and I am not alone I am sure, that many young school leavers and others, choose a course of study that they have not really had much time to consider or explore.

This is partially down to the current school leaving system, a system which, at this moment, I cannot effect much change within. Also, its is down to a lack of innovation in letting students explore and get a taste of a potential degree before applying. Unfortunately this all to often leads to early unfinished degrees and escalating drop out rates.
    There are however institutions such as NUI Galway, that offer amazing summer camps, and exciting, interactive open days whereby potential students may get an initial flavour of the course they may be interested in. I see CS Uni as being an important and potentially invaluable extension of these initiatives.

3. I love computers, their operation, their intricacies and their exponential potential to aid humanity and enrich our daily lives. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I will be focusing solely on Computer Science.

I will be registering as a 1st year Computer Science and Information Technology undergraduate at NUI Galway in September 2014, and I shall be using my experiences throughout the degree as material for CS Uni.

David,

CS Uni
    csuni.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

CsUni.org was started for a few good reasons:

1. When I was at the stage where I was making my University application (and well before this), I found numerous resources from the varying Universities on the outline of their respective Computer Science (CS) courses.

These materials usually consist of brochures and brief outlines of core course curriculum and topics, but rarely give a deeper, more tangible insight into the course itself. What i really wanted to see was the subjects I would be studying, the projects I could potentially work on and the day-today environment that I would be in.

2. I am a mature student, by age at least. As such I am now a little more settled and certain of my aspirations in academic and professional senses. I believe, and I am not alone I am sure, that many young school leavers and others, choose a course of study that they have not really had much time to consider or explore.

This is partially down to the current school leaving system, a system which, at this moment, I cannot effect much change within. Also, its is down to a lack of innovation in letting students explore and get a taste of a potential degree before applying. Unfortunately this all to often leads to early unfinished degrees and escalating drop out rates.
    There are however institutions such as NUI Galway, that offer amazing summer camps, and exciting, interactive open days whereby potential students may get an initial flavour of the course they may be interested in. I see CS Uni as being an important and potentially invaluable extension of these initiatives.

3. I love computers, their operation, their intricacies and their exponential potential to aid humanity and enrich our daily lives. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I will be focusing solely on Computer Science.

I will be registering as a 1st year Computer Science and Information Technology undergraduate at NUI Galway in September 2014, and I shall be using my experiences throughout the degree as material for CS Uni.

David,

CS Uni
    csuni.org

I just graduated from the course, finished up in April/May after 4 years. If you've any questions, feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 david.csuni

Eogclouder wrote: »
    I just graduated from the course, finished up in April/May after 4 years. If you've any questions, feel free to ask!

Hi there - have you had a chance to look at the site yet? would be great to get a CS & IT graduate on board if you were interested?
    Dave

Advertisement