Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration / Notification and a few other bits

Options
  • 02-09-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

OH and I had planned to arrange our wedding at relatively short notice (around this Christmas time), wanting to keep things small, short and sweet and minimise stress and heartache.

We'd originally thought foreign wedding (where everything is easier than in IE), then a Scottish wedding (where everything is much, much(!) easier than in IE), but for family reasons are pulling things back to IE.

We're going round screening venues etc but obviously the registration timescale is now very pressing in order to have the necessary bits in place by mid December. My reading of the HSE requirements is that the registration must be lodged in the county where the wedding is to go ahead (other than north east where you can register in any county for a wedding in that region) - is that correct? The implication being that if we don't have a venue nailed down we can't register?

We're having no luck at all trying to get through to people on the phone to ask for confirmation. We're also looking for a civil or humanist solemniser, but then this is leading to a chicken and egg situation whereby the county solemnisers are so overstretched that they are ruling out dates (which is ruling out venues...which means we don't know where to register)....hair is starting to be pulled out.

Can anyone shed any light or confirm whether I have the right end of the stick? If a wedding is registered and the venue / date changed, can the registration be modified (including across counties / regions)? And am I right in saying the registration lasts 6 months?

And final question :( - I'm from NI, I take it I have to do this craic with sending off my birth cert to get it apostilised - does anyone have any experience of how long this takes? Between the prospective mother-in-law and this bureaucratic crap I'm convinced that this wedding isn't going to happen till Easter, it's sickening how much more complicated it has to be than every other jurisdiction we'd looked at.

All help and calming advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Would you not get married in Belfast, two weeks notice, done and dusted and then just have a humanist or a friend to the ceremony down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

And final question :( - I'm from NI, I take it I have to do this craic with sending off my birth cert to get it apostilised - does anyone have any experience of how long this takes?

This one is relatively painless (apart from the cost of £42.50), just follow all the instructions at this site including paying in advance and the application form. From putting it in the post (registered) to receiving it back from the courier took 7 days exactly.

While it doesn't take long I would get it done ASAP. You will not be able to complete your registration without it, although they let us bring the birth cert in afterwards and the original appointment counted as giving notice.

Advertisement