Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Honeymoon?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Where having our second-time around wedding next Summer, and most of the planning is complete. So now we're thinking about honeymoon ideas!
    We want to try something different, and for some reason Canada springs to
    mind.
    Has anyone out there had a Canadian honeymoon, or just a holiday there (around mid-Summer)?
    We'd be keen to find out about weather, places to see, is it expensive, maybe fly/drive, etc etc.
    Thanks in advance!
    PS: We're 50's/60's....so no sky-diving/rock-climbing/snow-boarding LOL !

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Canada is the second biggest country in the world. You'd need to be more specific about where you want to go before anyone could advise you on weather, prices, etc. Yukon is going to be quite different to Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

We don't know where to go...that's why I posted the question. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Haven't been all over but my fiancee has and raved about Vancouver island on the west coast. also did a tour though the Rockies from there and it looked amazing! beautiful lakes, woods and towns with log cabins etc. Might be worth going into trailfinders to get some ideas. I've been to Toronto and just thought it was okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I took a train trip from Toronto to Vancouver when I was young- through the plains/ Rockies/ Banff etc etc amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I was there two summers ago for a 2 1/2 week holiday and had an amazing trip! We flew to Vancouver via Toronto. Vancouver is lovely; it's a very clean, safe city with plenty to keep you busy for a few days. We took a boat out to a place called Vancouver Island and went whale watching and spent the night. Then we joined a 5 day group tour from Vancouver to Calgary that went through the Rockies. This was a brilliant part of the trip. Scenery was absolutely spectacular. We stopped at various lakes/mountains/beauty spots and there were options to go kayaking/hiking etc. Never anything too strenuous. I know you can do this route on a glass roofed train called the Rocky Mountaineer which is supposed to be amazing but it was well beyond our budget unfortunately! :) We took an internal flight then from Calgary to Toronto and spent a few days there - another great city and completely different to Vancouver. We took a trip down to Niagra Falls from here as well - it was just a couple of hours on the bus. Twas a great trip! Weather was fine, not too hot at any point and very nice and warm in Toronto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Toronto is amazing, plenty to do including Niagara falls and it's only short flight to New York!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

tony glenn wrote: »
    Where having our second-time around wedding next Summer, and most of the planning is complete. So now we're thinking about honeymoon ideas!
    We want to try something different, and for some reason Canada springs to
    mind.
    Has anyone out there had a Canadian honeymoon, or just a holiday there (around mid-Summer)?
    We'd be keen to find out about weather, places to see, is it expensive, maybe fly/drive, etc etc.
    Thanks in advance!
    PS: We're 50's/60's....so no sky-diving/rock-climbing/snow-boarding LOL !

If your looking for somewhere different go to Newfoundland ; ) St. John's or go down to Nova Scotia to Halifax . The people in newfound land have the weirdest accents some of them sound like there irish ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Canada is beautiful, but so vast!

vancouver is a nice place. Quite cleancut. Whistler mountain is a good spot there. Lovely chalets with hot tubs up at whistler. Vancouver island is nice, they do sea plane trips there which i never went on but look fun. It's expensive though.

Also been to the competely different Montreal. Fab city, great food, huge french influence. Loved it. Near the US border, easy to get to.

tony glenn wrote: »
    We don't know where to go...that's why I posted the question. Any suggestions?

It depends entirely on what you're after. I'm not trying to be rude, but saying you want to go to Canada is as vague as saying you want to go to Asia. Do you want a city or rural? Do you want a laid back, healthy attitudes city with an emphasis on outdoorsy stuff? Or do you want a more European vibe? Or a big city vibe like New York? Would you like to be in the mountains or in a prairie? Do you like hot, dry weather, or a climate closer to Ireland's? Or do you want snow? Is nightlife important to you? Do you want to go to bars, high-end restaurants or just good, simple food? How are you with flying - does a 10 hour flight sound okay, or would you rather stick to a 5/6 hour flight?

Every city in Canada is different to the next. If you can narrow it down a bit with your preferences, we can guide you a lot more.

Something you might enjoy would be a cruise if you can't commit to one place. You can do some amazing cruises around Canada.

Thanks for all the replies, and point taken...I guess we should sit down with a pile of brochures and look and learn. A few years ago we went to Kentucky and then drove down through to Tennessee. A great mix of people and places.
    We'd like simple food, stunning scenery and real people. Low-key night-life and a few 'mini-adventures'....maybe a fly/drive would be a good idea, we could then stop and go depending on what we found.
    Oh...and not too hot or cold.
    PS: The Falls would be a must!

• Advertisement

Well, if you want to go to Niagara Falls, then going as far west as Vancouver or even Alberta would be too far, realistically. You'd want to stay around Ontario, or maybe over to Quebec at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I went to Canada on my honeymoon two years ago. We stayed 3 weeks. We flew to Toronto and stayed for 3 nights. We did a day trip to Niagara from here. We then flew to Calgary and rented a car. We drove to Vancouver taking in Banff, Jasper, Kelowna, Naramata, and Whistler. After staying in Vancouver we went to Vancouver Island and stayed 4 nights in Tofino.

We were back in Canada last month for a wedding. The wedding was in Pemberton, north of Whistler. After 5 nights in Vancouver we went up the Sunshine Coast for a few nights.

It is possible to do both Toronto and the West Coast, but you have to be up for the travel. Totally worth it though as you are rewarded with amazing scenery and the freedom to stop when you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

I haven't been to the east coast of Canada so I can't comment on it but I have been to Vancouver, Banff and Calgary. Banff is well worth getting to if you can. As already mentioned, Canada is huge. I didn't appreciate how big until I got there. Flights and rail are expensive. In fact, the rail is a huge novelty going coast to coast and costs an absolute fortune. They've made it a real event, if you know what I mean. I would say get to Banff and explore the Rockies if you can. The scenary is absolutely breathtaking ... mountains, trails, bears, glaciers, moose ... When do you plan on going? If you go in the winter, you can still enjoy the snow in Vancouver without committing to a snow holiday. They have 3 local mountains (Grouse, Cypress and Seymour). You can go up and down daily, they're pretty much in the city. If you didn't want to snowboard or ski, you can still take a bus or a cable car (depending on the mountain) and enjoy the mountain (especially Grouse - a lot more touristy. Cypress would be more for skiing/snowboarding). Snowshoeing is also fun!

OK, thanks once more for all the informative and interesting replies.
    We've put our name down for some 2015 brochures, when they arrive we'll check out some Fly/drive deals and then post some potential choices here for comment.
    We really want to get it right as it's a big deal for us!
    Cheers and thanks again to all.

Advertisement