Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a sporty Car - 6k budget

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Looking for a fun sporty car that wont break my heart with servicing costs!
    Looking for a nice interior, Room for golf clubs, Decent economy as I will be doing motorway driving at weekends .
    I only do Small mileage during the week.
    Have a provisional list of Mercedes SLK 2001 / 2002 , BMW 3 series coupe c 2004 , Alfa Romeo 159 c 2006
    Anyone have any experience with these models or can recomment another car that would fit the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

When somebody says "fun, sporty car", my mind goes to rear wheel drives that will put a smile to my face when driving on twisty backroads.

The cars you mention, in my opinion, do have a "sporty" character but I wouldn't consider them fun and that's why I'd suggest an MX5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Ah had thought about that but ruled it out due to fuel consumption and small boot.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Fast. Reliable. Economical. I think you're allowed to pick one from the list. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

merc = fast
    bmw = reliable
    alfa= ermm

MarkR wrote: »
    Fast. Reliable. Economical. I think you're allowed to pick one from the list. :D

Not looking for a huge amount of speed, more something that looks decent.
    Reliability would be a big plus. And particular models / Years to go for or avoid ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Boot space you say... Are you looking for a LOT of boot space? :P Petrol Octavia VRS? Definitely fit a set of golf clubs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

carq wrote: »
    Not looking for a huge amount of speed, more something that looks decent.
    Reliability would be a big plus. And particular models / Years to go for or avoid ?

If your not buying a actual sports car and only a sporty looking car with a bit of grunt there's not a lot of options out there. I know this as a few years back I was in the same boat as you. I wanted something that looked nice, was a bit different, high spec internally, nice seats etc..

My choice came down to a Mazda RX8 and the GT. I'd still love to own an RX8 but my budget meant I went with the more frugal Alfa in the end.

I'd recommend an Alfa GT or Brera. Both can be bought with Diesel engines.

As I say I had a 2004 GT diesel. Was generally reliable. Like all diesels they need to be serviced properly at the right intervals. They need the arse blown out of them every now and then with some long motorway drives. Mine was a 1.9jtd 150bhp. Imo was plenty quick and the looks are still nicer than most cars on the road today. Boot size is huge but still has room for two passengers in the back.

Don't be out off by the Alfa haters out there. Most of them haven't even driven one let alone own one.

I'll buy a Brera in a few years when the missus upgrades her car to a family wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

MarkR wrote: »
    Boot space you say... Are you looking for a LOT of boot space? :P Petrol Octavia VRS? Definitely fit a set of golf clubs in there.

Yup, all 18 holes!

Cant post a link unfortunately but was looking at something like this
    cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-slk-class-200-kompressor/7557252

Or This

cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318cl/7552185

Do those BMW have the engine issues of the later models?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'm detecting a lean towards hyundai coupe, then towards an rx8 methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

bet you almost fell off your barstool when someone dropped that bombshell on ya

Anyone have opinions on the cars I posted?

cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-slk-class-200-kompressor/7557252

cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318cl/7552185

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Did you ever consider a Toyota MR2 Mark II? Plenty of room for golf clubs in the boot.

Interesting - I hadnt thought of one!
    Nice car - maybe a bit feminine looking though?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

You must be thinking of the Mark 3 MR2. The 90's version wouldn't be considered a feminine car at all:-) I hope not as I drive one lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I've a Saab 93, picked it (2003 reg) up for 4K. It's fast and reliable with a decent boot. A bit unusual too, which is no bad thing.

Advertisement