Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obvious Child (2014)

Options
  • 02-09-2014 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭

Directed by Gillian Robespierre, a Comedy-drama about For aspiring comedian Donna Stern, everyday life as a female twenty-something provides ample material for her hysterical and relatable brand of humor. On stage, Donna is unapologetically herself, joking about topics as intimate as her sex life and as crude as her day-old underwear. But when Donna winds up unexpectedly pregnant after a one-night stand, she is forced to face the uncomfortable realities of independent womanhood for the first time. Donna's drunken hookup - and epic lapse in prophylactic judgment - turns out to be the beginning of a hilarious and totally unplanned journey of self-discovery and empowerment.

Let's be honest the film has cause quite a stir about Jenny Slate's Donna gives a love her or hate her performance as a foul-mouthed stand-up comedian who gets pregnant after a one-night stand and decides to have an abortion. It's a brave move that they pull off although I think
    did they need to have her friend and Mom also have abortions in the past, I thought that was a little heavy handed.
    . Slate I think pulls it off enough that you care for Donna faults and all and her match up with Jake Lucy's Max is sweet, it gives the movie it's heart.

Although her stand isn't up too much, the comedy comes from her interactions with her friends ( one played by Gabby Hoffmann the young girl in Uncle Buck and Sleepless in Seattle) and especially a film stealing cameo from David Cross which is the funniest thing in the film. It doesn't out stay it's welcome, it's no classic by any means but Slate is a talent to watch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm gonna see this today, looks a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm gonna see this today, looks a bit meh.

I liked it won't be breaking into my top 20 at the end of the year, it's only 85 minutes long and the whole Abortion thing isn't really what's the film is about to be fair. It's a Romantic drama comedy. worth checking out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Enjoyable movie, I like how by not making the topic of abortion this gigantic elephant in the room it allows its own character's personal freedom to come to the forefront. It sidesteps being a really hectoring and didactic film and never loses its personality or sense of humor for it.

It was pretty good. I mean it didn't make me bored, good run time, made me laugh, so gotta be a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

e_e wrote: »
    Enjoyable movie, I like how by not making the topic of abortion this gigantic elephant in the room it allows its own character's personal freedom to come to the forefront. It sidesteps being a really hectoring and didactic film and never loses its personality or sense of humor for it.

What did you think of her stand up? I got to be honest I didn't laugh once. I found her chats with friends and her parents to be far funnier. The whole Abortion thing I feel is to gain the film some publicity which is far enough. it isn't hammered over the head either although as I mentioned above
    The friend and Mum having Abortions in the past was a little OTT

• Advertisement

I wasn't a fan (I found her friend's stand up funnier) but at the same time I completely bought that it would come from this character and could see why it was working on the audience. I think that's most important of all.

Were they supposed to be recognisable? The only one I recognised was David Cross.

Don't think so, they were clearly just people doing it on the side rather than as a living anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Thought it was brilliant. I even want to see it again because I think some of the jokes went over my head. Myself and the two friends who were with me were actually laughing out loud many times *

*although we were in a giddy mood and we weren't expecting much from the film

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looper007 wrote: »
    What did you think of her stand up? I got to be honest I didn't laugh once. I found her chats with friends and her parents to be far funnier. The whole Abortion thing I feel is to gain the film some publicity which is far enough. it isn't hammered over the head either although as I mentioned above
    The friend and Mum having Abortions in the past was a little OTT
    Just back from this and I really enjoyed it.

I do not agree with the above at all though. The whole abortion thing is a massive part of the movie rather than some gimmick suggested by studio marketeers. It's just that the issue thing is handled in an understated way that seems much truer to life than how we usually see it depicted on the big screen. The movie isn't 'about' abortion but it's certainly more than a means to get some publicity.

Robespierre looks like a real talent and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out on her next project. Thought Slate pulled off her role exceptionally well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I just watched it and really it seems just a Romantic Comedy, but i enjoyed it and the lead is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yeah, quite funny alright, and a nice change to the overtly emotional type when talking about such issues in the movie, much more real :)

Advertisement