Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC - €1000

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm heading to the states in a week and wondering if its worth keeping an eye out for a couple of decently priced components over there? Does anyone know how prices compare?

I'm doing a €1000 gaming rig (no monitor), if anyone can recommend a build I'll note the parts and see if there's much in the way of pricing between the US and hardwareversand

Any input greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

320736.jpg

You've not given us a lot of info to go on but if I was spending a €1000 I'd focus on GPU. I'm assuming a >1080p set up.

You can probably do some tweaking to get a HDD in there and OS under a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

Cheers,

Looks pretty good! I don't need a copy of windows and im prepared to go a bit over the 1000 mark if it's going to make a big difference to performance or future proofing. 1200 would be my maximum i'd say. Anything you'd change with that in mind?

Thanks again

Cheers,

Looks pretty good! I don't need a copy of windows and im prepared to go a bit over the 1000 mark if it's going to make a big difference to performance or future proofing. 1200 would be my maximum i'd say. Anything you'd change with that in mind?

Thanks again

16GB RAM - which is a marginal increase in performance at best.
    Possibly an i7 processor

I'd spend more money on the PSU and case though first. Also a quality keyboard and mouse should be factored in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

16gb or i7 not really necessary for gaming, I'd put more money into the GPU, maybe get a slightly better model, some of the cheaper XFX 290's also had issues with vrm temps, not sure about that model but make sure you investigate.

If it was me I'd probably consider a slightly better motherboard, maybe a better case, a decent CPU cooler for overclocking, and a slightly better 290 model. Not talking about spending more than an extra €100 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

Thanks guys.

What motherboard and GPU would you recommend if i was to go for slightly better models then?
    I've read here that i7 processors aren't a massive advantage to a gaming system but is it worth going for one for the sake of future proofing ?

• Advertisement

is it worth going for one for the sake of future proofing ?

Absolutely not, there is no such thing. A 5 year old CPU is a 5 year old CPU no matter whether it's an i5 or an i7. The only things that are worth future proofing is the case and PSU (so you can get 2/3 builds out of it). The rest, buy what you need then start saving again. You might go through 2/3 GPUs but leave the rest alone imho.

Advertisement