Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Recognise/Know This Building?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Bit of a weird request but I'm hoping someone can help.

I pass by this particular building nearly every day going to school and I've always been curious to know it's history and what it was for.

I have an interest in architecture and every one I ask don't seem to have a clue so I'm hoping some Boardsie will! :o

It's abandoned and has been for years and from what I know it was a factory of some sort and an accident happened there or something...:confused:

I'm hopeless as describing things so I'll just leave a picture of it here and a link to Google Maps.

Thanks and I hope someone can help :pac:

1e7mwJc.png

Link to it on Google Maps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The old Erin Foods cannery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Owryan wrote: »
    The old Erin Foods cannery

Thank you!

Well at least we have a name lol.

Do you know the history or it? When it was built? Why it was closed etc.

So interested in this haha :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It opened in 1962 according to this site. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Dates_of_Importance.htm

A reason as to maybe why its burnt out. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77725840

ken wrote: »
    It opened in 1962 according to this site. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Dates_of_Importance.htm

A reason as to maybe why its burnt out. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77725840

Thanks for that! Makes for some interesting reading.

Still can't find much about the actual building itself, pictures and what not.

On the second link you posted I noticed Anne Ahern mentioning her concern over the exercise and she was actually my year head last year in school! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Might be worth contacting the Carlow County Museum for information on the Erin Foods factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

After the cannery closed, it also housed the Armer Salmon factory which made beet harvesters. I think it closed in the mid to late 1990's. As a previous person mentioned, the county museum is good for local industrial history.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dm2978

Sadly, it is on fire at the moment, huge plumes of black smoke, fire brigade are on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

dm2978 wrote: »
    Sadly, it is on fire at the moment, huge plumes of black smoke, fire brigade are on site.

I was driving bye when it blew. It put the heart out of me the kids got some fright.

dm2978 wrote: »

Extremely dangerous due to the Asbestos in the air as well.

KCLR warning everyone to stay indoors.

iano.p wrote: »
    I was driving bye when it blew. It put the heart out of me the kids got some fright.

That must've been scary alright.

Road is totally blocked now but you can see this slowly orange ball of black around from most of the town!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

That must've been scary alright.

Road is totally blocked now but you can see this slowly orange ball of black around from most of the town!

Yeah it made me jump anyway. I only live half a kilometer from it so can see the glow. When we closed up the site we all had to wear masks in there with the amount of asbestos in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Anyone got pictures or video of the fire? -

Edit: Nevermind, it's on the news. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Link not working.

Link not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I passed it the other day and just thinking what an eyesore it was. If the GAA County Board had sense, they'd buy the site, if only for a car park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

funny how you mention it,the next minute its on fire

did you start the fire

I passed it the other day and just thinking what an eyesore it was. If the GAA County Board had sense, they'd buy the site, if only for a car park.

That'd be the sensible thing to do alright, of course this is Carlow, the land of nosense! :pac:

braddun wrote: »

did you start the fire

I wonder what the cause was.

Was it arson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That'd be the sensible thing to do alright, of course this is Carlow, the land of nosense! :pac:
    I suspect the legal responsibility and expense of disposing with possibly significant amounts of asbestos that's reputed to be on the site would put off many prospective buyers. Can't fault the GAA or anyone for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

braddun wrote: »

did you start the fire

He mentioned it in September! dm2978 rekindled the thread

Advertisement