Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install uTorrent on Xubuntu

Options
  • 01-09-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have just installed the latest version of Xubuntu because my p.c. was running Windows XP and was ridiculously slow. However, as I'm a total newbie on Linux I'm finding it very difficult to use. I am trying to install uTorrent without any joy. I thought that installing a programme would be similar to Windows, i.e. download the software and run the .exe file, but it's obviously not! Can somebody please explain to me how to install uTorrent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Open a terminal and enter the following:

sudo apt-get install transmission

It'll work exactly like utorrent. I use it myself and works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Rataan wrote: »
    I have just installed the latest version of Xubuntu because my p.c. was running Windows XP and was ridiculously slow. However, as I'm a total newbie on Linux I'm finding it very difficult to use. I am trying to install uTorrent without any joy. I thought that installing a programme would be similar to Windows, i.e. download the software and run the .exe file, but it's obviously not! Can somebody please explain to me how to install uTorrent?

Hi Rataan,

uTorrent is possible but difficult to install:
    http://tutorialforlinux.com/2014/04/21/how-to-install-utorrent-bittorrent-client-on-xubuntu-14-04-trusty-lts-32-64bit-linux-easy-guide/

You can use any other torrent client. Deluge and Transmission both do the same job as uTorrent. Deluge looks more like uTorrent than Transmission.

Does Transmission come with Xubuntu as default? It'll do the job.

When you go to download a torrent it may ask to 'open with Transmission' or 'Save'. If 'open with Transmission' isn't an option then save the torrent file, go to your downloads folder, right-click it and select 'open with Transmission'.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

Hi Gamayun, yes, Transmission is included, but I was not aware of what it was.

I did manage to find a video on YouTube with a step by step explanation of how to install uTorrent, so I have managed to install it and I have verified that it is working, but in order to access it I have to open a tab in a web browser and type the command:

localhost:8080/gui/

Is there a way of pinning the programme to the Start menu, or putting a shortcut on the desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hi Gamayun, yes, Transmission is included, but I was not aware of what it was.

I did manage to find a video on YouTube with a step by step explanation of how to install uTorrent, so I have managed to install it and I have verified that it is working, but in order to access it I have to open a tab in a web browser and type the command:

localhost:8080/gui/

Is there a way of pinning the programme to the Start menu, or putting a shortcut on the desktop?

Open a tab, and type the above address. When it loads, press CTRL +D to create a bookmark.

I don't know how to add a bookmark to the desktop in Xfce as I only use KDE, but having it as a bookmark is half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You need to create a utorrent.desktop file. It should be under ~/.local/share/applications if you want it to appear in the menu, and on the desktop (I think) if you want it to appear there. The file should look something like
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Link
    Name=uTorrent
    Icon=www
    URL=http://localhost:8080/gui/

That should then open in whatever your default browser is.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Open a tab, and type the above address. When it loads, press CTRL +D to create a bookmark.

I don't know how to add a bookmark to the desktop in Xfce as I only use KDE, but having it as a bookmark is half way there.

I created the bookmark, but whenever I click on it, or if I type the address, I can no longer access uTorrent. I re-installed it by using the commands below:

cd '/home/jordan/Downloads/utorrent-server-v3_0'
    sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.8
    ./utserver

I then opened a tab in Chrome and typed 'localhost8080:/gui/'
    An authentication window then popped up and I entered the username 'admin' and hit enter.

After doing this, uTorrent was working again, as was the bookmark, but when I restarted my computer I could not access it again. The message on the web browser said 'This webpage is not available'. It's like it gets uninstalled every time I restart my computer.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

I can't help.with utorrent but transmission also has a web interface. You need to install transmission as a daemon, then transmission listens on port 9091, you can change this if you like after.

I run this on a raspberry pi which acts as a personal server and torrent client that's always on, it's just plugged straight into three router usb yo power it.

Here is a quick and simple guide to implementing it with screenshots of what the interface is like.

http://abyrne.me/setting-up-a-transmission-web-interface-on-a-headless-ubuntu-server/

If you don't like it just do sudo apt-get uninstall transmission-daemon.

I created the bookmark, but whenever I click on it, or if I type the address, I can no longer access uTorrent. I re-installed it by using the commands below:

./utserver

I then opened a tab in Chrome and typed 'localhost8080:/gui/'
    An authentication window then popped up and I entered the username 'admin' and hit enter.

After doing this, uTorrent was working again, as was the bookmark, but when I restarted my computer I could not access it again. The message on the web browser said 'This webpage is not available'. It's like it gets uninstalled every time I restart my computer.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

It doesnt get uninstalled, it just wasn't running.
    ./utserver

"./utserver" runs the uTorrent service. After rebooting, you have to start the service before you can access it.

From now on, before accessing the GUI, run these commands in a terminal.
    ./utserver

Then access the GUI via the web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Guys, qBittorrent is closest to uTorrent! Forget Transmission and Deluge!
    http://www.qbittorrent.org

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Guys, qBittorrent is closest to uTorrent! Forget Transmission and Deluge!
    http://www.qbittorrent.org

I much prefer Ktorrent, but I didn't want to confuse the lad.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help guys. I figured out how to use Transmission and it seems to be working ok, so looks like I don't need uTorrent now after all. Had I not come on here I wouldn't have known Transmission even existed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Transmission will serve you well, been using it a good while now and never had an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

As far as linux goes, try asking the question 'How do people download torrents' rather than 'How do I install utorrent'. Focus on what you are trying to do not how you would do it on other systems.

Chances are whatever you are trying to do, someone, somewhere has done it and a linux solution exists. It just won't be the windows solution.

Advertisement