Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athy - what's your opinion?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there,
    I am thinking of buying a house in Athy (unfortunately can't afford Newbridge or Naas). What areas are a no no for a young family? What are the facilities for children? playgrounds, parks, etc? And in general looking for an opinion on the town and the people?
    Cheers!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

There are a few threads about Athy already, such as this one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057234884

The children's playground is a bit outdated, but funding has been approved for a new one. There are loads of clubs and groups in the town, Scouts, Aontas Ogra, soccer, rugby, football, rowing / kayaking, etc.

Typical old country town with a slower pace than other larger towns. People are very friendly and welcoming

Where are you thinking of buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alexro

Thanks, there are a few properties we are looking at Corran Ard, Coney Ard, Clomullion. I heard that there are lots of travellers in some estates and they are not very welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

alexro wrote: »
    Thanks, there are a few properties we are looking at Corran Ard, Coney Ard, Clomullion. I heard that there are lots of travellers in some estates and they are not very welcoming.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but have you found somewhere in Athy yet? My folks are selling a house in McDonald Drive in Athy. It's a quiet estate with a nice green area for kids to play on. It's right opposite the GAA grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alexro

Still interested - Pm me, especially if it's a direct sale. I'm fed up with estate agents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

McDonnell Drive would be a good option. Go for one of the settled estates in the town if you can, Ashville, St Josephs Tce, St Patricks Ave, Oaklawns, Forest Park.
    Some ferocious whingers in some of those other threads, i'm not an Athy native but settled here and raised a family, great clubs, schools etc.. worked for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

mcgarrett wrote: »
    McDonnell Drive would be a good option. Go for one of the settled estates in the town if you can, Ashville, St Josephs Tce, St Patricks Ave, Oaklawns, Forest Park.
    Some ferocious whingers in some of those other threads, i'm not an Athy native but settled here and raised a family, great clubs, schools etc.. worked for me anyway.

You can say that again, hugely disproportionate amount of them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

i lived there for 6 years and loved the place, had to move due to work,

Advertisement