Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyhole gardens & compost

Options
  • 01-09-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

While looking for construction tips for raised beds I came across the idea of keyhole beds. From what I can see they are more or less brick built circular beds which wouldn't be terribly efficient with the layout I have.

One thing that stood out though was that they all seem to integrate a compost heap in the middle of the bed. This seems an eminently good idea in terms of being handy for disposal of waste & usage of the resulting compost but also for keeping the worms & good beasties near the beds.

There's no reason I can think of why rectangular beds couldn't have something similar but I've never noticed it.

So - compost heap in the middle of a bed - good or bad idea?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

good I would say. Why not? Mine is near my rhubarb. I'm sure it helps, somewhat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, I imagine it would be good. It's just strange that all the keyhole (round) ones included the compost in the middle, but I don't think I've ever seen a rectangular raised bed with this featured.

z

Advertisement