Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part J (2014): Carbon monoxide detectors mandatory 1 September

Options
  • 01-09-2014 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭

Take note and see here

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RITwing wrote: »
    Take note and see here

I posted about this in March, SI133 of 2014 IIRC.

Good move IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What I think would be a good discussion here is where the detectors must be placed in say a two storey 3/4bed semi-detached for an example.

Section 1.5.2 says to be placed:
    (a) in the room where the appliance is located,
    and
    (b) either inside each bedroom or, within 5 m (16 ft.) of the bedroom door, measured along the path of the corridor.

My first reading of Part J would seem to say in the room such an appliance is located and also in upstairs bedrooms (or the corridor within 5m of the bedroom door). So for a typical 3/4bed semi-D house, one in the Living Room where there is a fossil fuel burning appliance (fireplace), one where the gas boiler is, and one in each bedroom upstairs.

Notwithstanding the next paragraph 1.5.2.1 Where a system chimney is being used, with any heat producing appliance and the flue passes within or over a habitable room, (whether encased or not), then a CO alarm should be fitted in the room.

To be clear about what that means, could someone please let me know what a system chimney consists of? A semi-d might already have detectors in the bedrooms based on a typical layout.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

astrofluff wrote: »
    So for a typical 3/4bed semi-D house, one in the Living Room where there is a fossil fuel burning appliance (fireplace), one where the gas boiler is, and one in each bedroom upstairs.
    on the landing outside the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

grand! but still wondering about this system chimney business.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement