Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD FX 8320 CPU 17 degrees idle 80 degrees under load

Options
  • 01-09-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey fellow enthusiasts.

I have a AMD FX 8320 8 core CPU. I noticed my FPS had been low lately
    ( between 15-20 on dayz mod)
    so I decided I'd check out the CPU stats. I noticed that my CPU temperature was high.. Both when idle (40-50'C) and under stress (70-80'C)

My mobo is vertical set on the back wall.
    I have a spire cooler sitting on top of my CPU with another fan on the wall opposite. Then 2 more fans on the front face of the tower blowing air through to the back. One directly behind the cooler and the other directly across the GPU (gtx660ti direct cu2)

So I stripped the whole PC apart and got compressed air and cotton buds to all the fans and internals. Including the CPU cooler and graphics card fans.
    The one thing I couldn't do was replace the therminal paste as I had none available or in any local stores.

The result was a nice jump in FPS, back up around the 40-50 mark on high settings so that was nice.... BUT when I checked the temperatures again I was kind of surprised.
    At idle is was a nice and cool 17- 19'C but when I began to play DayZ mod it was recording 70-80'C still.

I know the recommended AMD temperature is 60'C under stress and 30'c when idle and it was always within these peramiters before.

I have a intel core i7 4790k coming this week with a evo 212 cooler but I would like to find the root of this overheating issue before I install it.

I should also mention that I have all the cores unparked and that the voltage is set to 1.3v going to the CPU..
    would any of these be the cause?
    Is it the cooler?
    Should I change the therminal paste completely? I'm a bit baffled by what the cause could be..
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless your room is REALLLLLY cold its not 17*C, either your software suite is reading it wrong or the sensor is dud. That or its AMD doing a weird temp reading where its the value above X, think theyve done that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

ED E wrote: »
    Unless your room is REALLLLLY cold its not 17*C, either your software suite is reading it wrong or the sensor is dud. That or its AMD doing a weird temp reading where its the value above X, think theyve done that before.

Well I took the whole thing apart again and went through everything giving it a thorough cleaning. I also replaced the therminal paste. It ha been idling at 25-30 degrees Celsius now and in the 60's under load. Although at one point last night it moved up to 70. I have ordered a evo 212 cooler and I am hoping this solves the issue. Any suggestions of anything else I could try?

Advertisement