Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High memory usage Ubuntu server

Options
  • 31-08-2014 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm renting a server and all I'm running off it is a few irc bouncers, I have no idea why my mem usage is so high. Below is a screen grab

24quwas.png

I'm really new to all this, limited enough experience in Ubuntu

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

What's the spec of the server?

It looks like you're running some desktop based apps. ie. gnome/natuilus which would run up the memory usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hi, thanks for the reply

yeah I'm running gnome, think I`ll just stop it, or how can I stop it? :)

It's a really basic server, the starter pack here http://www.intovps.com/plans.html

When I connect remotely to the GUI its so slow, pretty much unusable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply

yeah I'm running gnome, think I`ll just stop it, or how can I stop it? :)

It's a really basic server, the starter pack here http://www.intovps.com/plans.html

When I connect remotely to the GUI its so slow, pretty much unusable

A low spec server running a GUI and you are asking whats using rhe memory? Seriously?

Whoever spun up this server for you installed a desktop not a server. You have GNOME running, pulseaudio(a sound daemon), Nautilus and Apache, as well as your IRC bots.

You need to stop those services and remove them and connect in from SSH. Make sure you configure SSH first.

I already stated I have no experience, either way thanks for the advise

I already stated I have no experience, either way thanks for the advise

No experience is not a problem, we all started somewhere.

I use my own VPS for IRC too, however I use an application called IRSSI accompanied with screen. Both are easy to use and you won't need a gui to use them either.

If you have questions shout and I (along with others no doubt) can help you along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

It might also be a good idea to see how much is being used on cache vs how much is actually being used by applications. Run "free -h" in a terminal.

Look at the line "+/- buffers/cache". The value below the "free" column will be a better measure of how much free RAM you have, see this site for more: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

I'm not sure what Ubuntu release you're running, but this link will show you how to boot to text only for Ubuntu 12.04:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/196603/how-to-remove-the-graphical-user-interface

I don't know what your Ubuntu release is or what Desktop Environment (most likely Unity, but who knows?) it has installed. It would be a good idea to search askubuntu.com for instructions for how to remove the desktop for your specific release and DE. If you're not sure about the effect of the commands you're running, set up a VM locally and try them there first before you touch your server instance.

I managed to kill alot of stuff I don't need and free up memory . I`ll work on removing the GUI tomorrow

Just to clarify I've been using putty and working on the command line

Yup, putty means you're on the right track.

I wanted a gui so I could let mirc run on a irc bouncer and script from the menus, but I guess I can do that from the command line without Mirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wanted a gui so I could let mirc run on a irc bouncer and script from the menus, but I guess I can do that from the command line without Mirc

Mirc doesn't work on Linux without using wine, which would also be a bad idea on a low spec server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

It looks like you have no swap partition. Might be a good idea to create one.

Advertisement