Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for getting 625 points (or as near as)

Options
  • 31-08-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I'm doing the LC this year and want to do medicine . I have a provisional study plan made out starting tomorrow which consists of 23 75 minute sessions per week (3x on Mon-Thurs , 1x Fri , and 5x Sat-Sun) on top of 2 hours of homework supervision in school per day . I want to get as many points as possible but does anyone who got around 625 points think this is too mic or want to share their plan

Mine consists of 3x each subject and 2x HPAT study
    My 7 subjects are

Biology
    Chemistry
    French
    Irish
    English
    Maths

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

For French and Irish, vocabulary and grammar are very important.

As you're doing a written comprehension, highlight any words you don't know. When you've completed the comprehension, look up each word and record them in your copy. It may not be necessary to record every word, especially if they're quite obscure, but you should get maybe ten per comprehension. Learn them over the course of two or three days if you can. You'll be shocked that the same words appear again and again.

For English I'd advise you to improve your vocabulary too. Don't try to squeeze your essay around the three nice words you know. Instead, fit them in naturally through your essays. This is very easy in Paper 2.

For example, instead of repeating "Othello" time and time again, call him "our eponymous protagonist". Use this once in each Othello essay and don't overuse your few nice words. I had other words like "insidious", "pernicious" and "fortitude" which seemed especially useful for Shakespearean questions. This ensured that I only lost one mark for language in my two English papers combined. I had a page of appealing words I'd come across in reading. If I find it I might scan it, but I've probably mislaid it!

In the back of my mind I was aiming for 625, but I always knew maths would probably prevent that from happening. I ended up with 600 which I was delighted with too. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too hung up on trying to get 625. It's great to aim high, but there are many things (some outside your control) which have to go perfectly in order to get 625. Aim high, but take a perfect 625 as a bonus rather than a target!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I got over 600 points in the LC this year. I'd recommend putting in 2hrs of solid study every night (after homework) and 5-6 hours a day on the weekend until Christmas. After Christmas you'll have mocks and stuff so about 3hrs per night and 8 hours a day on the weekend.

Biology - Do every single question that's come up and you'll be sorted. Try cover everything if you can, because they can ask anything...

Irish - Try speak oral Irish everyday for 15 minutes. I struggled to put together sentences at the beginning of the year, but was almost fluent for the orals. You'll be sorted for the listening and composition, as you'll be able to bluff your way through an essay no problem!

English - Write often and lots. Just practising Sections A and B will cover you. Learn 5 poets and a billion quotes for the play!

Maths - I really liked maths and never really found it that hard. Do some diff and integration problems and statistics as often as you can. They're most of the paper.

Don't go crazy on the study either though. Throughout sixth year I worked every single day, even during the actual leaving cert, and I came out the other side! A

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Thanks ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

robman60 wrote: »
    As you're doing a written comprehension, highlight any words you don't know. When you've completed the comprehension, look up each word and record them in your copy. It may not be necessary to record every word, especially if they're quite obscure, but you should get maybe ten per comprehension. Learn them over the course of two or three days if you can. You'll be shocked that the same words appear again and again.

That is very true and it's something that I intend on doing this year.

I remember last year for my Spanish Summer exam our teacher gave us a list of comprehension keywords that would be coming up to learn before the exam and they seemed fairly obscure at the time. I thought I'd be smart and cross reference them against the exam papers for the last 10 years to try and find the exact comprehensions. I was really surprised when nearly every single one appeared on at least 2 -3 exam papers, so you're definitely right there!

Advertisement