Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 70D vs 700D (Upgrading from 1000D)

Options
  • 31-08-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking of upgrading my old Canon EOS 1000D to either a 70D or 700D. From what I understand, they would both be great upgrades, but the price difference between the 2 of them is quite huge, almost double in some cases.

I usually photograph my kid (who doesn't stand still), landscapes, and the usual family pictures, nothing very specific. I struggle mostly with low light. I know investing in lens in the long run is more productive, but I feel my old camera is limiting me.

Thoughts?

Also, as far as I understand, the lens I use on my EOS 1000D would fit on either one of those, so should I just buy just the body, or are the lens that come with the standard bundles now with improved features that I would also benefit from?

Any stores in the Cork area you recommend? Buying online is cheaper, but if something goes wrong it's nice to be able to go to the store and get things fixed.

Thanks everyone!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The 700D is a good enough upgrade, ask about kits that should be coming in now for the Christmas market.

MacSweeny Photo Shop and Camera World in town.

Whilst stocks are limited, Harvey Norman does great deals from time to time.

Curry PC World have good stocks and good support [if you buy the extra plans]

Normans and Currys do a variety of payment options as well, but whatever is available is per promotion, per period.

Lens, I'd not keep the lens from the 1000D, should be a tad one better one with the 700D kit, prices of body only and keeping your existing lens should not be attractive.

Trade in and who will take it may swing the deal for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baquinho

I don't mind waiting for Christmas if the deals are worth it, thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

the chances are the kit lens is the 18-55 on all 3. You might see a bit better quality at higher iso on the 70D than the 700D, also it's a better video camera if that's what your going for.

If your making the jump I'd go for the better, but there's no substitution for glass. try and barter a deal with the 24-105 f4 lens if you can. Its a great lens for crop sensors bodys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I wouldn't touch a camera from Harvey's...way overpriced.
    Better off to deal direct with a camera shop like Gunns or pick up one 2nd hand of adverts etc.
    If money wasn't a problem then the 70D would be a fantastic camera. But you'll need extremely good lenses for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baquinho

I checked the lens on the 700D at Currys today and it has an "Image Stabilizer" function which my current lens doesn't have. Anyone know if that's worth it? (to consider purchasing the body VS body+lens)

The lens I currently use are:

Sigma Fisheye 180º (just for fun tbh, focus is not that great)
    Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II (purchased new for around 120€)
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II (that came with the camera)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

You don't really, really need image stabilization, but it is desirable as it does work and there would have been a few tweaks done to the lens as well, so overall it is worth it.

Advertisement