Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5hours of homework for 1 subject

Options
  • 31-08-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I've been back only two days and for both nights in a row the new geography teacher has given the class 5+hours work.
    He gave us six sheets of questions on the first night, the page of questions in our book and then we had to transcribe stuff off the sheets and out of the book into our notebooks. He also gave us an essay on a chapter we haven't even started which meant we had to read it first. By the time I finished my homework for geography it was 10pm and by the time I finished the rest of my work it was 2am.
    I know this is sixth year but I don't think this can be right, but I wanted to check on the forum to see if this was normal for geography.

For the weekend he marked out three exam papers for us to do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It's been some time since I did my Leaving but I don't ever remember anything like that. He sounds like a sadist tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oscar.

Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Jesus that's a lot of homework, has anyone said anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ask him how long he expects the work he's given to take. If he expects it to take 5 hours, then he's doing something wrong. If he expects it to take an hour, but it's taking you 5, then you're doing something wrong, and it's his job to help you figure out what.

If he's new, maybe he thinks this is all revision work that you've covered before, and that it wouldn't take long.

Explain that you're committed to doing well in geography, but also in your other subjects, and you can't devote all your time to a single subject. Steer away from terms like "it's not fair" or "sadist".

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Saster123

Shane15 wrote: »
    Jesus that's a lot of homework, has anyone said anything?
    Yeah one of the more... uh... vocal students called him a slave driver and got detention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Approach him quietly outside of class time. Avoid confrontation. As Thoie said ask him politely to clarify how long he expects it to take and explain how long it's taking you.
    You say he is new - is he young? It may be inexperience in gauging how much homework to give. It may be he has lesson plans worked out and afraid of letting these slip of out of sync - hence having to read the chapter ahead for the essay. He may just be laying down the law (albeit a little ott) in the first few weeks as a new teacher. What is the student cohert like in the class? You mention at least one messer - is it a tough class? Is he trying to get a handle on ye?
    Don't make a scene - you may need to give him time to himself to reflect and evaluate things
    If it doesn't improve log the times etc and follow the proper channels of complaint in the school - speak to class teacher/yr head etc

Okay new development. I tried to talk to him, but he said it was my problem for not working efficiently and that he hadn't had complaints from other students. I actually felt a little insulted by how condescending he was, but I went back to class. At lest three others have complained. Today in class somebody called him a ****** and he kept the whole class in for lunch and hinted that if we had a problem we should 'sort out' the person responsible. I'm starting to feel really abused by this teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Saster123 wrote: »
    Okay new development. I tried to talk to him, but he said it was my problem for not working efficiently and that he hadn't had complaints from other students. I actually felt a little insulted by how condescending he was, but I went back to class. At lest three others have complained. Today in class somebody called him a ****** and he kept the whole class in for lunch and hinted that if we had a problem we should 'sort out' the person responsible. I'm starting to feel really abused by this teacher.

That is totally unacceptable. Parental action is definitely needed OP. I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

He sounds like he needs a kick up the arse, but don't get into the martyr mindset this early in the school year. When he said you weren't working efficiently, did he have any suggestions for things you could change, or did he just waltz off?

How long did the homework take other people?

It seems that as a new teacher, he's trying to lay down the law from the off, and get a "tough" reputation to stop people f***ing with him. To be fair, in two posts you've outlined two episodes that show a lack of respect from other students (by what, the 4th day back at school?), so it's not terribly surprising that he doesn't have a great opinion of the class yet.

I'd give it one more try - ask him if there's a time that he has free where he could sit down and show you what he means by working more efficiently (rather than just grabbing him between two classes). Reiterate your desire to do well. If you don't get a good response, it's time for the class in general to talk to the year head/principal. I'd avoid having just your parents talk to him as yet, and take more of a group approach.

I asked around and people were saying they stopped doing the work after three hours and just copied. Unfortunately i'm not in any of those cliques where they share all the answers :-/ today was gruesome. We still havent progressed very far because he just keeps repeating himself. I got shouted at today because I couldn't find mozambique on a map (heck... i can't even spell it) now he's giving everyone a test on all the countries in the world and it's my fault. As a result I got totally shunned all day :-(

• Advertisement

It's time for intervention. Either your year head, principal or parents. Personally I'd go for the group talking to the year head rather than having your parents call him. Absolutely let your parents know what's going on if you haven't already, but if they're the only ones who complain, it highlights you, as opposed to the whole class.

One thing to remember is that the principal/year head will probably back him up in front of you. They are unlikely to say "you're right, he's a bastard, we'll take him out the back for a good kicking" in front of students. They're more likely to end up seeming dismissive ("I'll make a note of it" or "Thanks for coming to me with your concerns"). However they'll probably have a private chat with him, suss out what's going on, and monitor the situation.

Thoie wrote: »
    It's time for intervention. Either your year head, principal or parents. Personally I'd go for the group talking to the year head rather than having your parents call him. Absolutely let your parents know what's going on if you haven't already, but if they're the only ones who complain, it highlights you, as opposed to the whole class.

One thing to remember is that the principal/year head will probably back him up in front of you. They are unlikely to say "you're right, he's a bastard, we'll take him out the back for a good kicking" in front of students. They're more likely to end up seeming dismissive ("I'll make a note of it" or "Thanks for coming to me with your concerns"). However they'll probably have a private chat with him, suss out what's going on, and monitor the situation.

I tried telling my parents but mum just thinks i'm lazy and dads too busy to intervene. Tomorrow I'm going try and talk again and if he is horrible I'll have to take it up with the year head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I tried telling my parents but mum just thinks i'm lazy and dads too busy to intervene. Tomorrow I'm going try and talk again and if he is horrible I'll have to take it up with the year head

Better tackle it with help from a Year Head/Class Tutor - not 'He's a fecker Sir/Miss and gives us too much homework', but 'We like his class and feel like we can't keep up'.

Is he young? Sounds very much like he's trying to do too much in a class, which is a common mistake with less experienced teachers.

Bringing in parents could get everyone's back up.

Advertisement