Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorised actuator to retrofit to 3/4" ball valve?

Options
  • 31-08-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I want to motorise a ball valve on my central heating circuit. Does anyone know if I can retrofit an actuator to a standard 3/4" ball valve (so I don't have to drain down the system)?

Photo here: i.imgur.com/V3PUT0R.jpg (Sorry: "You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.")

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

transistor wrote: »
    I want to motorise a ball valve on my central heating circuit. Does anyone know if I can retrofit an actuator to a standard 3/4" ball valve (so I don't have to drain down the system)?

Photo here: i.imgur.com/V3PUT0R.jpg (Sorry: "You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.")

Many thanks.

No.
    Why don't you want to drain your system ? A sauter valve and actuator is only €50

• Registered Users Posts: 27 transistor

I'm an electrical engineer - not a plumber! :^)

It probably makes sense to replace the valve with one designed for frequent (many times per day) switching. I was concerned about getting something the correct length, etc., so I don't have to modify pipework.

A search for "Sauter 2-port motorised valve" through up the data sheet ephcontrols.com/downloads/V22_D_Datasheet.pdf (I'm still too young to post links) and it looks the same as the Sauter valve listed on some other sites. The 3/4" compression version is the same length as the combination of fittings I have in there so it may well do the job.

I'll try it so! Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Even if the two valves are the same length the threads on the compression nuts can differ. So you may find yourself having to cut out the paperwork in order to fit the new valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

scudo2 wrote: »
    Cut the compression rings off.
    And refit new valve.
    Don't scratch/cut pipe.

I've done it this way many a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

scudo2 wrote: »
    Cut the compression rings off.
    And refit new valve.
    Don't scratch/cut pipe.

F the paperwork !