Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address thinks I'm outside of Ireland!

Options
  • 31-08-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I currently cannot watch RTE player content for the Republic of Ireland. I get a message for Irish content - "Sorry, this content is currently not available in your region."

I experience the same issue when I look to use Skygo - "You appear to be outside of the territory in which this channel or programme is available. If this is not the case please contact your Internet Service Provider."

I am very much here in Ireland! My IP address does not seem to change. As I'm not a business, my IP is dynamic. I've contact my ISP and they are looking into the matter.

Is there anything I can try myself to resolve the issue? Has anyone come across this sort of problem before?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I currently cannot watch RTE player content for the Republic of Ireland. I get a message for Irish content - "Sorry, this content is currently not available in your region."

I experience the same issue when I look to use Skygo - "You appear to be outside of the territory in which this channel or programme is available. If this is not the case please contact your Internet Service Provider."

I am very much here in Ireland! My IP address does not seem to change. As I'm not a business, my IP is dynamic. I've contact my ISP and they are looking into the matter.

Is there anything I can try myself to resolve the issue? Has anyone come across this sort of problem before?
    Have you tried installing VPN software or the likes to get american/uk content before? Who is your internet provider?

Nick

Are you on UPC?

If so, they have two IP ranges that they received from UPC Austria and UPC Poland. They only got the Polish range recently and many websites still think you're in Poland. The website is using an outdated RIPE database. If you can't get one of their other IP ranges through a router reboot, you may have to contact the websites and inform them of the error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Wouldn't know much about it, but Facebook thinks I live in Australia lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

yoyo wrote: »
    Have you tried installing VPN software or the likes to get american/uk content before? Who is your internet provider?

Nick

Hi Nick. Thanks for your reply. I have not installed VPN software or anything like that before. My ISP is UPC.

If I go on to the RTE player on my PC or smartphone, it can only see content for outside of Ireland. On my smartphone, if I access RTE player through 3G, I can access the content for those of us in Ireland no problem. I've the same problem then with SkyGo as well. It's an unusual issue.

Karsini wrote: »
    Are you on UPC?

If so, they have two IP ranges that they received from UPC Austria and UPC Poland. They only got the Polish range recently and many websites still think you're in Poland. The website is using an outdated RIPE database. If you can't get one of their other IP ranges through a router reboot, you may have to contact the websites and inform them of the error.

I'm UPC alright. Interesting reading what you've said regards the IP addressed from Poland and Australia. Seems to make sense. Should they possibly provide me with a static IP until the issue is resolved?

• Advertisement

I see you've double posted in the UPC forum, you should probably just leave it in one of the forums. :) It's definitely the issue I mentioned above, unless you can get another IP you'll have to contact RTE, Sky, etc. Ideally, UPC should probably be doing this though, at least for the bigger sites.

I currently have one of the Irish ranges but if I reboot my modem I'll get one of the ex-Austria IPs. So I've had my modem on for 4 months solid to prevent it from renewing, just want an easier life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What is the URL you use?

Is it
    http://www.rte.ie/player

Karsini wrote: »
    I see you've double posted in the UPC forum, you should probably just leave it in one of the forums. :) It's definitely the issue I mentioned above, unless you can get another IP you'll have to contact RTE, Sky, etc. Ideally, UPC should probably be doing this though, at least for the bigger sites.

I currently have one of the Irish ranges but if I reboot my modem I'll get one of the ex-Austria IPs. So I've had my modem on for 4 months solid to prevent it from renewing, just want an easier life!

I know, I posted on the UPC forum for their input. I'm not looking to post the same subject twice. I thought there might be a general solution to the problem, especially the fact I seem stuck on a static IP address.

Thanks very much for your information and input. It's been a great insight into what is going on and will have saved me time trying other things I though I could possibly do to resolve the issue.

old_aussie wrote: »
    What is the URL you use?

Is it
    http://www.rte.ie/player

Hi, yes, the URL is rte.ie.

I wanted to watch the Kerry v Mayo game on the RTE player.
    DDC1990 wrote: »

When I access the above address it gives an error: "Sorry, this content is currently not available in your region."

The programme itself does not come up on RTE players main page. I'm only presented with the programmes available for those outside of Ireland.

I just googled my IP address and it is placing me half-way between Birr and Nenagh. Which is funny, given another thread I've been reading lol. Have no idea why FB thinks I'm in Oz though.

• Advertisement

Export wrote: »
    I just googled my IP address and it is placing me half-way between Birr and Nenagh. Which is funny, given another thread I've been reading lol. Have no idea why FB thinks I'm in Oz though.

Well going by information provided to be in this thread, if you are a UPC customer, you are currently on an Australian IP address!

I'm with VF.

Export wrote: »
    I'm with VF.

Ah ok. Possibly they've obtained IP addresses similarly to UPC.

5 days later my issue is still unresolved. I've posted in the UPC forum but there does not seem to be a solution in sight.

A question I asked there than someone might have an answer on here is: If I have a dynamic IP address, if my modem is off for a few hours, should I get a different IP address upon starting up the modem? My IP address has not changed over the last few days despite leaving the modem off overnight. The modem is actually off for around 18 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might get the same one from UPC even after some while, I think - it might depend on their strategy, and whether any new modem has connected. Most people leave their UPC modem on 24/7. Back in the dial-up days, you could be fairly sure of getting a new address if you re-connected

I think it varies depending on your location. I had the same 79.97 or 89.101 IP for about a year on two occasions and usually only lost it it I turned off my router when I was going away.

But about a year ago, when they began issuing 80.111 addresses, I now get a new IP every time I reboot or hit the renew button in my router's config.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A question I asked there than someone might have an answer on here is: If I have a dynamic IP address, if my modem is off for a few hours, should I get a different IP address upon starting up the modem? My IP address has not changed over the last few days despite leaving the modem off overnight. The modem is actually off for around 18 hours!
    Not necessarily. You see what happens is that the modem requests its last known IP address when it starts up. If that's available, then you'll get it. Since most people probably leave their devices on all the time, the churn is probably minimal, so your IP address is always available.

A hard reset on the device should theoretically sort this (because it won't remember what its last IP was), but I don't know if you can do this with UPC modems.

Well, I did try a hard reset but it has not changed anything. I have a number of things plugged into the same extension lead and my own preference is to actually power them all off overnight.

I got to speak with a UPC team leader. I had to choice but to ask to speak with him. Their tech support staff wanted to carry out troubleshooting which had no relevance to the issue and the TL himself accepted that. He advised me there is something like a 6 week lease on an IP address. My preference is to speak with the technical team that they raise their escalations to. It's frustrating not to speak with someone who is technical minded and who can then tell me clearly what the problem is and how they will look to resolve it.

Thanks for ye're help and suggestions anyways lads!

Is there a way to try and change the modems MAC address or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some people used to do that a few years back, but unless the MAC is on UPC's database you won't get an IP.
    I suspect the mods won't tolerate discussion of suchlike though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 patr453

Interesting that this is still a problem in 2024. I live in Donegal. BBC iPlayer declares that I cannot access their content as my geo location shows I'm in Ireland and RTE player declares that I can't access their content as I live in the UK! My ISP contacted them (rte), almost a month ago about this issue and surprise, surprise, of the 7 addresses on their list my IP address was not one of them. They requested that they add it on but as yet, no access still 🤷🏻‍♀️

Advertisement