Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help on a gift. Budget €1000 ish.

Options
  • 31-08-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Long time lurker. I'm looking for a watch for my dad. Budget €1000ish. Can go over and can go lower. Thin if possible. Wideish face. Ideally gold but not essential. Vintage or modern. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you want to buy in a shop here, or is online an option too? When do you need it for?

You should get a very nice vintage Omega for that price - here's one chosen randomly (price could be over the odds - Wibbs would probably know better). There are some Rolex models in that price range too (#2). But do a good bit of research if you're looking at vintage ones.

For about a third of your budget, a Seiko SARB could be an option; very classic looking watches. A Stowa could be another option too.

Longines are good bang for buck in that price range. This looks nice? And this one is in gold.

Raymond Weil make some nice dressy watches too. 1, 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A modern vintage perhaps?
    Junghans Meister classic, diameter 38 mm thickness 9mm, gold coated

ju040_im.jpg

available here for example
    http://uhr24.de/junghans/meister-automatic-027_7112_00/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

http://touch.adverts.ie/vintage/omega-seamaster-30/6281735

Some nice second hand pieces on adverts.

Check the above sellers active adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Eoin wrote: »
    Do you want to buy in a shop here, or is online an option too? When do you need it for?

You should get a very nice vintage Omega for that price - here's one chosen randomly (price could be over the odds - Wibbs would probably know better). There are some Rolex models in that price range too (#2). But do a good bit of research if you're looking at vintage ones.

For about a third of your budget, a Seiko SARB could be an option; very classic looking watches. A Stowa could be another option too.

Longines are good bang for buck in that price range. This looks nice? And this one is in gold.

Raymond Weil make some nice dressy watches too. 1, 2.

That longines is lovely. Has anyone here bought from private sellers on Chrono24? Is it safe? What precautions should be taken?

Chrono24 is just a classifieds site, so be cautious. Use Paypal if possible so there's some sort of insurance for you. Anecdotally, I've heard it said that the operators of the site do not go to a huge amount of effort to resolve issues. Make sure the price includes a courier from a trusted company; especially if you're buying from Italy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help. Watch on the way.

Excellent - what did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

too late for this but liking it
    STEINHART "Marine Chronograph Bronze Premium"
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Marine-Chronograph-Bronze-Premium,892.html

I wonder what that would look like with blued hands instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Funny, that's what I was thinking too! Not sure I really like those gold hands, it's the one thing that's holding me back from really loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

you read my mind...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wonder would they entertain the request as they have a Marine Chronograph with blue hands and just using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭fishguy

Hey nice choice I had one of these before. Lovely pieces, but imho they there is no way that the watch is 3ATM waterproof unless it was modified. I would be careful with it around water.

Advertisement