Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job threat

Options
  • 30-08-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been working for a Prestigious IT firm for 8 years. I never had any issues with my previous Managers. My current manager, he is only my manager for six months, he came up false allegations against me and put me in PIP. To my bad luck my last project (that lasted only 2 months) went bad, but they came up with an aggressive report about my performance and it claims I am unfit to continue in this job. I tried to go over my boss head, but that didn’t work out. They are convinced with what my manager claims. I feel, as I have worked for more than 20 assignments in the past and all were successful, it is extremely unreasonable to put me in PIP based on just one bad project.

Now I have found another job with in the same company. When I asked my boss about my internal transfer to the new job, he says my PIP is attached my profile and I need to complete it before the transfer and he will let the new Manager know about my PIP before initiating the transfer process. The new Manager having no clue about my past performance, he obviously perceives PIP as a my overall performance and certainly wont offer me that job.

I have had unpleasant Manager-Employee relationship since the beginning with my new boss. He never treated me with respect. Now he is making sure that, attaching PIP to my profile, no other Managers should hire me in this company.

How can deal with this situation? I would like to continue in this company, but my Manager is closing all the doors and only trying to terminate me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Just start looking for a new job and make sure to arrange with your previous manager to be a reference.

Once you have a PIP, In my opinion, your name is mud in your current company even if the PIP is unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Find a new job, if the PIP is truly unwarranted you may have a case for constructive dismissal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Tricky situation - would be a good idea to try to inform yourself as best you can.

Googling "PIP in HR" will throw up more info. Would also help if you talked to someone you trusted to get another view of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kmurali444 wrote: »
    I have been working for a Prestigious IT firm for 8 years. I never had any issues with my previous Managers. My current manager, he is only my manager for six months, he came up false allegations against me and put me in PIP. To my bad luck my last project (that lasted only 2 months) went bad, but they came up with an aggressive report about my performance and it claims I am unfit to continue in this job. I tried to go over my boss head, but that didn’t work out. They are convinced with what my manager claims. I feel, as I have worked for more than 20 assignments in the past and all were successful, it is extremely unreasonable to put me in PIP based on just one bad project.

Now I have found another job with in the same company. When I asked my boss about my internal transfer to the new job, he says my PIP is attached my profile and I need to complete it before the transfer and he will let the new Manager know about my PIP before initiating the transfer process. The new Manager having no clue about my past performance, he obviously perceives PIP as a my overall performance and certainly wont offer me that job.

I have had unpleasant Manager-Employee relationship since the beginning with my new boss. He never treated me with respect. Now he is making sure that, attaching PIP to my profile, no other Managers should hire me in this company.

How can deal with this situation? I would like to continue in this company, but my Manager is closing all the doors and only trying to terminate me.

It's not your current manager's call to attach the pip to your profile. Once the process started then its on your file and that's it. There is no option to have it separate.

Were you on the PIP before or after this current project failure?? If its only because of the current project failure and 19 of your other projects have been good then you should be able to close it out easily.

It would be standard practice not to allow an employee transfer while on a PIP, indeed if my memory is correct one company I worked in wouldn't allow a transfer for 6 months after finishing the PIP.

You've two options, put your head down and work through this PIP, then move as soon as posible to a new manager.
    OR
    Start aggressively looking for another job, a reference might be a problem though.. Last thing you want is a new employer ringing up and being told you're currently on a PIP for a failed project :(

Personally I'd opt for the first option, prove to this guy that you're good at your job and look to transfer ASAP.

Make sure you understand the details of the PIP and what criteria mean success, I've stated before that PIP's can be aggressively written to lessen the chances of an employee being successful, (I've done this :o). The criteria in the PIP should only be aimed at making you a "successful" employee not an outstanding one.

I would sit with current manager and agree that tangible outcomes he's expecting for each point raised on the PIP, agree on these and then you've a solid list to work towards, don't accept loose, airy-fairy goals as these can be turned against you as quick as work for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kmurali444

_Brian wrote: »
    It's not your current manager's call to attach the pip to your profile. Once the process started then its on your file and that's it. There is no option to have it separate.

Were you on the PIP before or after this current project failure?? If its only because of the current project failure and 19 of your other projects have been good then you should be able to close it out easily.

It would be standard practice not to allow an employee transfer while on a PIP, indeed if my memory is correct one company I worked in wouldn't allow a transfer for 6 months after finishing the PIP.

You've two options, put your head down and work through this PIP, then move as soon as posible to a new manager.
    OR
    Start aggressively looking for another job, a reference might be a problem though.. Last thing you want is a new employer ringing up and being told you're currently on a PIP for a failed project :(

Personally I'd opt for the first option, prove to this guy that you're good at your job and look to transfer ASAP.

Make sure you understand the details of the PIP and what criteria mean success, I've stated before that PIP's can be aggressively written to lessen the chances of an employee being successful, (I've done this :o). The criteria in the PIP should only be aimed at making you a "successful" employee not an outstanding one.

I would sit with current manager and agree that tangible outcomes he's expecting for each point raised on the PIP, agree on these and then you've a solid list to work towards, don't accept loose, airy-fairy goals as these can be turned against you as quick as work for you..

I will try first option, but I don’t think it would work. Because the PIP is not prepared to see improvement in my performance. My manager and I have different personalities and this PIP is the result of our personality clash. He wont respects me and but he expects obedience from me. I am very polite and I have always worked for polite and disciplined managers. Certain goals in the PIP are no way I can demonstrate the improvement in my current project. Each project is different and my current project is not a right one to measure those goals are met. If my manager really wanted to see improvement, he should have held formal discussions with me once and twice about my performance in previous project before coming with PIP. It is totally unwarranted. Today also I sat and analyzed various other options in front of me, but my current company suits best for my situation. My boss's boss has been my manager previously, he is a nice person and I have always had good relationship with him, but he is watching all this silently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You manager is an employee too, it is possible that his manager is performance managing him, too, and so cannot intervene.

Advertisement