Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is best stuff to put down on edge between lawn and hedge?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What's the best stuff to put down on an edge between a lawn and hedge? Today I dug a little trench between the grass and hedge. It's just an area a few meters in length. Should I use wood chips, bark chips or other form of mulch of something else?

I'm a novice gardener as you can see. ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Here's 2 photos of it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You dont want anything that will be pulled up into the lawnmower when the wheel slips down off the grass. Why not put down an strip of cobble blocks and then bark behind that.the cobbles will support the wheel of the lawn mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Personally, if you have the money I think sleepers look nice. Otherwise you could use concrete edging like this...

concreteedging_zps90e8ade7.jpg

Or you could do rock edging...

rockedging_zps7ce23d7b.png

Or any other type of small paving block etc.

And I notice you are in Munster...I just happen to have a load of rocks I have dug out of my garden if you are interested in them for edging :p:pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

What's the best stuff to put down on an edge between a lawn and hedge? Today I dug a little trench between the grass and hedge. It's just an area a few meters in length. Should I use wood chips, bark chips or other form of mulch of something else?

I'm a novice gardener as you can see. ;)
    First off you've dug it too close to the hedge, and have already damaged some of the roots, back fill it asap and hope you haven't done any lasting damage.
    Personally I don't see the need for any kind of edging in your garden, but if you really want it, then a brick edging like here would be best suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

First off you've dug it too close to the hedge, and have already damaged some of the roots, back fill it asap and hope you haven't done any lasting damage.
    Personally I don't see the need for any kind of edging in your garden, but if you really want it, then a brick edging like here would be best suited.

Cheers. I think I will fill back in the trench and slope the edge up towards the hedge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement