Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use This For Gaming?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Lads, looking at this (when back in stock) http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/asus-essentio-k5130uk003d-barebones-desktop-pc/316296/307

I wondered if it would be handy for gaming as well as general use? I'd like to run dayz especially. I'm aware it's probably short of a graphics card.

1. Will it's processor and RAM be enough?
    2. Can it incorporate an adequate graphics card?
    3. Where would I get a reasonably priced Windows 8 OS?

I have an old monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard from a Dell Dimension 9150 I intend to use for now.

Have been outta the PC upgrading loop for a while, be gentle please :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a really good price but I doubt it will be back in stock, they were obviously clearing them at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It is a good price for what you get, but it's terrible for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

What are it's main drawbacks?

Is it possible to get a good PC to play Dayz comfortably for €400 max? Case and contents? Gonna stick with my monitor and peripherals.

What are it's main drawbacks?

Is it possible to get a good PC to play Dayz comfortably for €400 max? Case and contents? Gonna stick with my monitor and peripherals.

Building it yourself, yes, buying in a shop, no.

As stated, that's a PC world clearance price, the PC won't be coming back into stock.

Would anyone be kind enough to do up a quick build at all please for what I listed?

• Advertisement

Sure, here's an idea for you for the 400 euro mark.

320431.jpg

Thank you so much :) Now would it be possible to use a handy SSD instead of the 1TB sata? We don't need massive storage.

Also quick question where would I get a Windows 8 for a decent price?

Really appreciate the help thanks lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Would an AMD APU give better performance than the Pentium/750? Just thinking outloud here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No it wouldn't, not even close.

Ok lads just a quick add on, if I were to throw an extra €100 at that build giving a budget of €500 would it get me a good quad core that would give better performance than whats there in the build?

• Advertisement

Okay been a while since I did builds and this is more here to create an argument because arguments get you better info ;)

This is a quick refresh on Toms and a bit of reading about. The pros of this system would be the i3 as I'm assuming you won't OC which is what the Pentium is for.

Lastly as you can see €100 really isn't giving you much of an upgrade. €600 would be a slightly different story but personally I'd stick at €400 and go with the build Terror did for you.

320514.jpg

320516.jpg

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on there, until I realized you've added two processors.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on there, until I realized you've added two processors.

And failed miserably at editing.

The i3 is a good upgrade if you're giving yourself more of a budget. The SSD isn't great because that's only 128gb of space in total. You need to have an SSD and a hard drive, or else a larger SSD, 240gb is decent. You could go for a small 32gb ssd and a 500gb hard drive with that budget.

I'd also stick with the 750ti over the 260x, it's a better card.

320518.jpg

Okay given that cock up there's room for a 256GB 840 Evo which is more than enough storage for a few games IMHO. The 260 v 750 - can't really comment as I've not done enough reading. Tom's rate the 260, but I know you know your stuff.

You're not going to get a quad core, and it would be pointless without upping the spend on the GPU (again IMO) but given the SSD and i3 I now think do spend the extra 100 bucks.

EDIT: Every € is gonna count at this price point so do look at spending an extra tenner here and there on the likes of the case and PSU.

Lads I'll only be storing 2-3 games max, I'm very particular :pac:

I like the look of that for the €440, how much does the OS take again? I reckon I'd get away with the 120 GB SSD, I do have an old harddrive here if I got stuck I guess.

Is there much else ye would change in that for that circa price? I reckon I should be able to run Dayz handy enough, what settings would that rig take at a decent fps? Honestly lads Dayz and Insurgency are prob the only games I'll bother with.

Good suggestions there.

If the budget is €500 you could do a little better. Maybe something like this.

Still enough left there towards windows or peripherals.

320532.png

Oooh thats a nice build - 128GB is going to be painfully small though. If the budget can stretch get a 240/256GB.

Agreed. The 250gb one only costs 50% more for double the capacity and higher speeds. You could squeeze it in for under €500.

• Advertisement
Advertisement