Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car....fine for no tax!!

Options
  • 30-08-2014 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

So I bought a used car, went into the shop wit the little man and missus and I come out 5 minutes later to find a fine for no tax!! I don't have to book as the old owner has taken it to be sent away!!

What can I do Now?? Only own the car 5 bloody minutes!!

And what really pissed me off is my partners car was 2 spaces behind with no parking ticket and she got away Scott free.

Do they just perform random checks or was a spotted as I'm a young chap in a fancy car!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Parking warden or garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Glynch93

To be fair he(warden or whatever) didn't know that so presumed you were a typical person who refused to pay tax. Claim against it must be somewhere on here or Google that can help you with it. have a look. sorry I'm not much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Autonomous wrote: »
    Parking warden or garda?

Warden.......

In fairness I was a good 40 minutes looking at the car and I did not see the warden before or after I came out of the shop and it was literally 5 minutes in the store!

I swear they were probably watching the whole time and decider to pull a fast one!!

Do they get commission on tickets?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How long had you own the car? You should be able to appeal it if it was within a day or two.

MarkR wrote: »
    How long had you own the car? You should be able to appeal it if it was within a day or two.

I owned the car about 15 minutes prior to getting the ticket!! The warden would have seen me and the previous owner looks around the car considering the reticent was placed so quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not much you can do except pay the fine, there is no leeway allowed in the law for this. Since it was a Traffic Warden that fined you then you might try to appeal it but you would be relying on his goodwill rather than a legal get out.

Warden.......

In fairness I was a good 40 minutes looking at the car and I did not see the warden before or after I came out of the shop and it was literally 5 minutes in the store!

I swear they were probably watching the whole time and decider to pull a fast one!!

Do they get commission on tickets?

Apeal it with documents to the council and show them the tax disc etc...you should be ok.
    Happened to me and they qaushed the ticket.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not much you can do except pay the fine, there is no leeway allowed in the law for this. Since it was a Traffic Warden that fined you then you might try to appeal it but you would be relying on his goodwill rather than a legal get out.

Thats bollox...they're ok about these things. So long as u back tax etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So I bought a used car, went into the shop wit the little man and missus and I come out 5 minutes later to find a fine for no tax!! I don't have to book as the old owner has taken it to be sent away!!

What can I do Now?? Only own the car 5 bloody minutes!!

And what really pissed me off is my partners car was 2 spaces behind with no parking ticket and she got away Scott free.

Do they just perform random checks or was a spotted as I'm a young chap in a fancy car!!!

Could you not have whipped out your badge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

it'll go to court would it not ?

i thought no tax and parking on footpath was sent out like a Fixed penalty notice from a garda even though it is a traffic warden ?

contest it either way since it was not possible to get it taxed in the time frame etc.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Could you not have whipped out your badge?

A badge to who? I was in the bloody shop!

Thats bollox...they're ok about these things. So long as u back tax etc.

What are you disputing? Is it the fact there is nothing in law that permits you to drive without tax even 5 mins after purchase or the fact that any appeal is relying on someone's good nature to squash it?

it'll go to court would it not ?

i thought no tax and parking on footpath was sent out like a Fixed penalty notice from a garda even though it is a traffic warden ?

contest it either way since it was not possible to get it taxed in the time frame etc.

I got a long purple ticket with the car reg, date and time etc so I presume it was a warden considering it was in a car park

What are you disputing? Is it the fact there is nothing in law that permits you to drive without tax even 5 mins after purchase or the fact that any appeal is relying on someone's good nature to squash it?

Have you ever driven 5 minutes without tax? The car would not even be in my name at this stage as the old owner has the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Happened my ex in Kilkenny. Appealed it to the council and they cancelled it when she showed them the receipt with the date of purchase on it.

Apeal it with documents to the council and show them the tax disc etc...you should be ok.
    Happened to me and they qaushed the ticket.

Me too. Twice. Send em in a copy of the new disc plus a copy of the fine and that should sort it

Have you ever driven 5 minutes without tax? The car would not even be in my name at this stage as the old owner has the book
    It's in your name as soon as you sign the VLC, even though the change hasn't been registered with Shannon yet. It's a stupid situation not to have any lawful way of driving untaxed for a day or 2 after change of ownership but that's the way it is.
    Hopefully your fine will be cancelled if you appeal to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It's in your name as soon as you sign the VLC, even though the change hasn't been registered with Shannon yet. It's a stupid situation not to have any lawful way of driving untaxed for a day or 2 after change of ownership but that's the way it is.
    Hopefully your fine will be cancelled if you appeal to the council.

Is the tax office open today ?

Is the tax office open today ?
    Doubt it, perhaps canvas your local TD to change the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

wouldnt the car still be registered in the sellers name? i think the fine will go to the seller. but a bit of common sense from the "athoratays" should sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

This is why when you buy or sell a car, put the time of sale beside the date on the vlc, and photograph it with your phone prior to it being posted to shannon.

Good to have a copy for your records in these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Don't worry about it, send them a letter explaining and they'll sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Were you parked in a proper parking space or were you breaking a parking law as well. Did you have any parking tickets etc on the car.

Or was it just tax you were done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Won't any correspondence go to the previous owner as they're still at the moment named as the owner?
    They'll dispute it, it'll probably get binned by the council rather than chase it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

'Technically' the car is still in the old owner's name until the change of ownership is received by the DoE( as any fines would automatically be sent to them), and even then there is no mention of a specific time...just a date.
    In this case the previous owner would get the fine posted to them and they will have to explain the situation (or pay the fine, which is unlikely).

In other words, not your problem as the previous owner will have to explain what occurred and that would usually be the end of it.

dingding wrote: »
    Were you parked in a proper parking space or were you breaking a parking law as well. Did you have any parking tickets etc on the car.

Or was it just tax you were done for.

I had a valid parking ticket for an hour which was put on before i went to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

It will be ok, just appeal, simple explanatory letter, with relevant documentation.

Advertisement