Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Venue Recommendations; bride/groom or guests!

Options
  • 30-08-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Does anyone here have recommendations for wedding venues in Dublin, Limerick, Kilkenny, Laois, Kildare?

I know thats a lot of places but we have family/friends in Dublin & Limerick so are open to a variety of venue locations. Id like some first hand insight about venues from brides here or guests too.

Our wedding will be late Sept 2015, Ive nothing booked and looked at so many brocbures! I think getting reviews from people will help cause you wont get that kind of insight from the hotel wedding planner ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I've been to great weddings in both Adare Manor and Dunraven Arms hotels.

My cousin had a lovely wedding in Beaufield Mews, tho I wasn't there my folks said that it was a really individual and chilled out BBQ in beautiful gardens.

Only wedding I've been to in the Fublin area was in Dunboyne Castle - the food was close to inedible.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Adare Manor would be amazing but it is very expensive, mainly for guests staying. I'll check out some of your other suggestions though... Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Leixlip manor on the Dublin/Kildare border is excellent and reasonable. Might be handy for those travelling from elsewhere as it's close to m50

stinkle wrote: »
    Leixlip manor on the Dublin/Kildare border is excellent and reasonable. Might be handy for those travelling from elsewhere as it's close to m50

Must contact them and see if they can do something with a vegetarian menu, they're Vintage package looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Must contact them and see if they can do something with a vegetarian menu, they're Vintage package looks good!
    Yeah it is! We had our wedding there, we went to a wedding fair at the venue and got the vintage package thrown in, so bear that in mind.

Food was fab and we had loads of veggies who enjoyed what they ate. They take their grub v seriously so I'd say would be happy to work with couples with specific needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Was thinking afterwards - Anna Carriga on Lough Derg just outside Killaloe is meant to fab as well. There's a thread about it here on boards somewhere.

nosietoes wrote: »
    Was thinking afterwards - Anna Carriga on Lough Derg just outside Killaloe is meant to fab as well. There's a thread about it here on boards somewhere.

Cool. I love Killaloe but only saw the wedding packages for Lakeshore. Reviews online were quite poor though.

Will check out your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Have you tried the Clanard Court Hotel in Athy. Can't recommend it enough, great food, great atmosphere and so accommodating. Good luck with it all:-)

anmhi02 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Clanard Court Hotel in Athy. Can't recommend it enough, great food, great atmosphere and so accommodating. Good luck with it all:-)

have their brochure. Gonna have to spend time going over all the venues and packages and put a spreadsheet together so I can get my head round it all... plus my fiance can then scroll through without it being information overload!

Venues I like the most are Kippure Estate, Leixlip Manor, Langton's Hotel (especially ceremony in Set Theatre) or else ceremony in Triskel Christchurch Cork with reception in either Clarion, Gresham, Montenotti or Ambassador.

Lots of lovely hotels out there but not crazy about a lot of civil ceremony rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Beaufield Mews is beautiful for a wedding in Dublin. Have a look at Mount Juliet for Kilkenny, fab venue. Also Kilronan castle in Roscommon or Markree astle in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Castle Durrow in Laois - have stayed at it as a guest & been to weddings as a guest and its breathtaking - you feel at home, relaxed, and treated like royalty at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Does anyone here have recommendations for wedding venues in Dublin, Limerick, Kilkenny, Laois, Kildare?

I know thats a lot of places but we have family/friends in Dublin & Limerick so are open to a variety of venue locations. Id like some first hand insight about venues from brides here or guests too.

Our wedding will be late Sept 2015, Ive nothing booked and looked at so many brocbures! I think getting reviews from people will help cause you wont get that kind of insight from the hotel wedding planner ;)

You do know that you could be looking at somewhere about 150 venues. be a help if you could narrow down your selection.

hotel/country house/castle/water nearby/sea views/restaraunt/tent
    humanist ceremony (if youre having one)?

ample accommodation nearby (why bring 150 people into the middle of the country if the only rooms in a 30 mile radius are 250e a night)

budget (35e a head or 135e a head). Get a budget, your meal will be most expensive part, its really recommended you decide on this, it will govern how the rest of the selection process goes.

size of guest list. An average wedding is 140-150. You may have 200. a lot of rooms cant hold this. even some that say they do will be squashed.

help yourself by narrowing it down. budget usually is a good starting point and amount of people on the guestlist.
    then ring around and check availability on your short list.
    then start looking at online reviews. theres tons on here if you use search facility already

Yeah started going through stuff online but it'd be nice to get feedback from people who've either had or been to a wedding that impressed them.

I think Langtons have a great offer and like Kippure Estate too.

I want somewhere that won't be expensive for guests to stay so they are not under pressure. It's hard to sort through all the hotels but I'll have to do a auld excel spreadsheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Have you a preferable date? If you're looking for a weekend I'd assume most are booked at this stage and you could narrow down your search by date. If you're flexable it probably won't mater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Yeah started going through stuff online but it'd be nice to get feedback from people who've either had or been to a wedding that impressed them.

I think Langtons have a great offer and like Kippure Estate too.

I want somewhere that won't be expensive for guests to stay so they are not under pressure. It's hard to sort through all the hotels but I'll have to do a auld excel spreadsheet!

Every venue is going to impress someone somewhere.

A: I was at a wedding 3 weeks ago where it was a carvery meal, 9e a head, I thought it was great. (It actually was)
    B: I was at a wedding 2 years ago where it was 140e a head. I thought it was only ok.

Which venue are you going to look at?

narrow down your search with selection criteria. then start looking for reviews. you'll be forever otherwise.

Every venue is going to impress someone somewhere.

A: I was at a wedding 3 weeks ago where it was a carvery meal, 9e a head, I thought it was great. (It actually was)
    B: I was at a wedding 2 years ago where it was 140e a head. I thought it was only ok.

Which venue are you going to look at?

narrow down your search with selection criteria. then start looking for reviews. you'll be forever otherwise.

We are flexible enough but would like late September if possible. We could probably get a Sunday date if Saturdays were booked.

We will go see Langtons but also thinking if viewing Kippure Estate in Blessington and Clarion, Montinotte, Gresham and/or Ambassador in Cork. There's a lovely non church church (!) In Cork called Triskel Christchurch that we like as a ceremony venue.

not having a religious wedding so would like somewhere that has a nice civil ceremony venue as for us the emphasis would be on that part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I've filmed a few weddings in Kilkenny and I'd like Langtons the best, ideal location, ample parking and great food! good atmosphere too.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Just concentrate on the simple things, nice venue with good food. I know it's your special day but think of what your guests would like. I've had 3 wedding invitations this year and they are all in country houses miles from the couple's hometowns. All invitations arrived with 'pack' of information about places to stay, maps to some obscure church, maps to the venue.........
    All 3 have been on a Thursday, this means 2 days leave, paying for accommodation etc and that's on top of the normal expenses. Sorry if that sounds mean, I'm definitely not.
    I am so looking forward to someone having a wedding at a weekend, somewhere close to home. I think the best weddings are the ones where the bride and groom relax and just want to celebrate their day. The frills are not important. You sound like you are really thinking of your guests which is so thoughtful and will make for a great day. Hope you find somewhere fab

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

You mentioned Limerick, would you travel 15 minutes outside limerick to The Inn at Dromoland, it is great value, beside Dromoland castle for pictures and the staff are very friendly.. we have our wedding booked for there and i have to say they were fantastic and we got a better deal than we have budgeted for (which is always a plus)

• Advertisement

Definitely want something convenient for guests. Inreally dontcwant to put people under pressure and we both very much want a chilled out day. The food is important and frills are something most people wont remember. Good food and good music with a relaxed fun atmosphere are what we want.

Advertisement