Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to get into college with lca ?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Im 16 and currently in 5th year and was thinking to switching to LCA ( leaving cert applied ) as it suits me better. I have different desire to others and I want to be a professional athlete . I'm just wondering you know I kind of want to do stuff like bussiness and accounting in college.

I know its not possible to get into college with lca and the only option is plc. But if incase I dont become professional or something happens I would rather study at a college than do plcs ? Is there way to get into college after doing lca ? I heard you can do something for like 2 years which will gain you entry into some colleges but I havent gotten much details about it . Are there like any colleges or IT's even that accept LCA as an entry ?

But I really dont like the idea of 5th year and normal lc and I honestly think our education system has tons of flaws.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't know the exact entry paths, but I know there are ways to get to college after completing some PLCs.

It's definitely harder though, and takes another year or two to gain entry. If I were you I'd definitely do the regular Leaving Cert if you want to do business or accounting. It'll save you years after school. View it as short term pain for long term gain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Garda College used to accept LCA for direct entry but does not anymore, without, it appears, any discussion with any of the interested parties.

Most LCA students who go to college (and there are many) choose a PLC which has a direct progression into their chosen course. You will not find a PLC much different from the structure of the LCA, in terms of assignments and tasks. The LCA prepares you very well for interviews and speaking in public as you have to do it a number of times during the LCA for marks. Be aware that the LCA requires a minimum of 90% attendance to pass - this might be an issue if you have to attend sports events.

It takes one year more and some of your fellow students on the PLC course will be standard LC students choosing the same path.

The main thing is to find a PLC that has progression into your chosen course.

Advertisement