Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to eat before morning run?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so sorry if its wrong. I have been running now for about 2 months and have a 5k coming up soon. Run three times a week, grand in the evening times but the morning ones are difficult.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend what to eat before a morning run, wouldn't be too early about 9:30, I have tried eating cereal two hours beforehand and have tried just eating a banana and have also tried eating nothing. None of these seem to work and I still feel like I am going to get sick the whole time I am running. Any ideas what I should do?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Toast with peanut butter or honey and a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If eating beforehand makes you feel sick then try running on an empty stomach and eat breakfast afterwards.

You'll have plenty of reserves from last night's dinner to get you through.

If that doesn't work either you could try some liquid nutrition, e.g. a smoothie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Before 99 percent of my training runs I eat nothing... If I do eat it's porridge and atleast 2 to 3 hours before the run ideally

Perhaps you're eating too much cereal when you do eat it, maybe change the amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Porridge with honey on top and an apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

I eat oat muesli an hour before I go. And warm water with lemon in it.
    Never feel sock or get a stitch (probably will now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Have you considered other possibilities? Like do you go too fast? Or do you warm up before your runs? I have tried all sorts of food and quantities (including protein like scrambled eggs, fat like avocado, etc.) and waited different lengths of time before my morning runs and I can't tell the difference: in the morning it always takes my heart and body a long time to warm up even when jogging very slowly and downhill! My heart rate would shoot above 200bpm for at least the first 3km and about 15-20min (longer if not flat), after which it would quickly sink to about 130 and stabilise. Only then would I start to feel better and enjoy it. In the afternoon/evening the warm up would be much shorter...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Anon2013

I do warm up, however it could be the fact that I might be running too fast, I would run at around the same speed that I would run during an evening run. Will give some of the different breakfast ideas a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Bagel w/ peanut butter & banana

Advertisement