Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop bought 'growing herbs'

Options
  • 30-08-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to cook with more fresh herbs as I am a brat for the ease of dried!

I bought a pot of coriander, parsley, mint, basil & rosemary...

I have a wee balcony that gets a bit of sun late afternoon.
    Would love some hints/tips from all the pro gardeners here as to how I can keep 'em healthy.

Will herbs survive outside/inside in Ireland?!
    Have big glass window in kitchen so could grown 'em inside or outside.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I planted the rosemary out no problem provided you harden it off before. Basil and coriander will be happy in the kitchen window. Mint should be grand outside but careful it's very invasive. Plant it in a bucket or something which will stop it sending it's roots everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

The trick with the supermarket ones us to re-pot them immediately into a much much larger container. They are wedged into tiny pots to make them look lush and abundant in the shop but there is nowhere near enough soil for them to grow.

I am no expert but I find herbs to generally be thirsty so plenty of water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Thanks guys. Yep. I noticed with the coriander that it was packed way too much into the tiny pot so repotted it into a massive pot in the hope it will grow loads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Parsley will do very well in the ground also.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

livinsane wrote: »
    Parsley will do very well in the ground also.

I only have room for small pots on the balcony unfortunately!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement