Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Travel & Losing No Claims Bonus:

Options
  • 29-08-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me on this.. I am selling my car soon as I need money for travel so I won't have any insurance in Ireland for 2 and a half years. Is there anyway of avoiding losing my No Claims Bonus? Could I be on my mams insurance as a named driver or what can I do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You could buy a cheap banger for couple € and insure it.
    Then right after obtaining policy, you can suspend it. At the end of policy period you will get about 75% to 90% of your premium back, and you will earn another year of NCB.

It won't be exactly in line with terms and conditions, as you most likely won't be resident in Ireland, but it ain't matter as you're not going to claim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your NCB stays live for 3 years I think but ring your insurance company and ask them. It may even be 5 years but I know for certain it doesn't lapse immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The industry standard here is 2 years.

Advertisement