Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions - need advice.

Options
  • 29-08-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi again,
    i'm confused as to the whole irish education system and i really need your help.
    As i arrived 2 years ago i didn't know about CAO points etc. People told me to chose all ordinary levels due my poor english so i did. Sixth year was “serious” for me as people explained me that i need points to get into college. I ended up getting 230 points with all ordinary levels but it wasn't enough.
    So after my short story here are my questions :
    1. i know that IT Tallaght offers part time courses and i would like to go there if you can switch after 1 year to full time course? In my country after 1 year you could be moved to first year or second year depends how well you did in that course.
    2. is repeating leaving cert only way to get points which i need to get a place in x college?
    3. if i go for PLC, will it give me something after 1 year or its only worth taking that course if i want to make it full?

If there is anything else what i can do to be in college next year, please share your knowledge with me!

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends what course you are looking for, what entry paths the course has and how many points you need for the standard LC entry route.

I'm presuming you are from a non-EU country if you were not able to do a HL exam in your native language? If you are from an EU country, make sure if you are repeating that you do an exam in your language.

As your English improves, so will your performance in other subjects, some of which you could take next year at Higher Level to allow you get the LC points needed for entry to your desired course.

There is a possibility of entering some courses by doing a PLC, but there are a limited number of places involved in that, so your best chance would be repeating.

I don't know ITT's rules about transferring, sorry, someone else may know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    I don't know ITT's rules about transferring, sorry, someone else may know.
    I would suggest identifying a couple of courses you are interested in, and talking to the Admissions people in ITT or whichever college in a couple of weeks time (not now, they don't have time to breathe).

There has been improved flexibility in such areas in the last decade, but it's still very variable indeed.

Advertisement