Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sunscreen hand prints on paintwork off car SOLVED

Options
  • 29-08-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Anybody got hand prints on their cars from sun screen. Big car companies don't know what to do. It is causing water based paints to fail on your motor vehicle.. With nasty oil-like hand prints it takes away from your car. After many attempts i have found somewhat off a solution.
    An eraser yes a simple eraser. Soft rubber not the pen rubbers as this will mark your paint work. DONT USE A RUBBER ATTACHED TO A PENCIL EITHER AS YOU RUIN YOUR CAR WHEN THE RUBBER WEARS OFF....Little bit off elbow grease and off the marks come. I have since machine buffed my own car as it was covered with hand prints from sun screen and it looks like i have eliminated the problem. Had to share as I know many people are in the same boat.
    It doesn't eliminate it 100% in some cases but will remove 99% imo.
    Enjoy peeps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Will try this out. Apparently Old Spice works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I got them all off an older car here by hand polishing with mild cutting compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭pppspecial

Will try this out. Apparently Old Spice works too.

I think the rubber is the most perfect one as it wont damage the paintwork. The soft rubber with friction heats up and grabs the nano particles that are in the paintwork from the sunscreen. These same nano particles are absorbed by the human skin.
    Compounding and t cutting were never a proper fix as all it does is take a layer of laquer off and in some cases the hand prints remained.
    Elbow grease and the soft rubber got the main prints off my car and wipe down the rubber layer left on the paint work afterwards. but for best results get a machine polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭pppspecial

mickdw wrote: »
    I got them all off an older car here by hand polishing with mild cutting compound.

That can be quite expensive and not good for your car if not done right.
    It costs a euro for a rubber and twenty mins off your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I'll tell you what else works..!

Washing your hands properly after applying sunscreen or the likes. Prevention is always the best cure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll tell you what else works..!

Washing your hands properly after applying sunscreen or the likes. Prevention is always the best cure

Said someone who doesn't haven't young children....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kindalen

Good old wd40 worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

kindalen wrote: »
    Good old wd40 worked for me

+1 on that. Wd40 saved me many times in different situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

AutoGlym paint renovator. ..marks were on Metallic paint, 18 months later no sign of marks returning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Photo of the product..any car shop will have it
    Works 100%...better than 99% ;-)

320369.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 beefmcguire

pppspecial wrote: »
    Anybody got hand prints on their cars from sun screen. Big car companies don't know what to do. It is causing water based paints to fail on your motor vehicle.. With nasty oil-like hand prints it takes away from your car. After many attempts i have found somewhat off a solution.
    An eraser yes a simple eraser. Soft rubber not the pen rubbers as this will mark your paint work. DONT USE A RUBBER ATTACHED TO A PENCIL EITHER AS YOU RUIN YOUR CAR WHEN THE RUBBER WEARS OFF....Little bit off elbow grease and off the marks come. I have since machine buffed my own car as it was covered with hand prints from sun screen and it looks like i have eliminated the problem. Had to share as I know many people are in the same boat.
    It doesn't eliminate it 100% in some cases but will remove 99% imo.
    Enjoy peeps.

Thanks a million mate. Bought a civic there off my sister. 1 hour of elbow grease and 2 pencil rubbers later the prints are removed. Some turtle wax to finish

Advertisement