Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daewoo Matiz front passenger wheel slips and slides on turns and wobbles

Options
  • 29-08-2014 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi.
    I have a little Daewoo Matiz (please dont laugh), I have all new tyres on it, when i drive above 40 miles an hour the whole car seems to vibrate, and now when i go around turns the front of the car just seems to lose traction and slides, the problem seems to be coming front the front passenger wheel, when i go around a curve especially to the left, i can feel the steering wheel as if it has been jerked and the whole car kind of bounces to one side, and thats even when i am only going around 15 mpg. If possible i would like to be able to fix this myself or at least look like i know what im talking about when i take it to a mechanic.
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Have you checked the wheel nuts were tightened properly after the new tyres were fitted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mervyn1

Hi, Yes I have checked the wheel nuts and all seem fine, the wheel does seem to be sticking out at an angle a bit, sorry but i dont know much about cars

alf66 wrote: »
    Have you checked the wheel nuts were tightened properly after the new tyres were fitted ?
    Hi, Yes I have checked the wheel nuts and all seem fine, the wheel does seem to be sticking out at an angle a bit, sorry but i dont know much about cars

Could be a tie rod end, if the wheel appears out of alignment, which is not something you would want to take on yourself if you don't know too much about cars.
    When was the last NCT ? And did you get the tracking done when you got the new tyres ?

Could be a tie rod end, if the wheel appears out of alignment, which is not something you would want to take on yourself if you don't know too much about cars.
    When was the last NCT ? And did you get the tracking done when you got the new tyres ?

only passed NCT 2 weeks ago, it passed first time no hassle, The tracking wasnt done on it when got new tyres but the tyres were on it before the NCT test

• Advertisement

Ok, that is very odd. There is no way a damaged tie rod would get through an NCT, and the wheel alignment would have been checked in the test too.
    Other causes of steering wobble such as warped brake discs and dodgy suspension should have been picked up on too.
    It hasn't hit a pothole or kerb since the NCT has it ?
    Running out of ideas, sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like either a shock absorber gone bad, or play in a balljoint.
    Check the tie-rod end, bottom ball joint and control arm bushings on both sides.

Ok, that is very odd. There is no way a damaged tie rod would get through an NCT, and the wheel alignment would have been checked in the test too.
    Other causes of steering wobble such as warped brake discs and dodgy suspension should have been picked up on too.
    It hasn't hit a pothole or kerb since the NCT has it ?
    Running out of ideas, sorry :(

Thanks for replying and being so patient with a bumb bell like me when it comes to cars, Well i do live in the middle of nowhere in the country and the roads are nearly all potholes around here, I dont think i hit one hard but would definitely have gone into a few in the last few weeks

Mervyn1 wrote: »
    Well i do live in the middle of nowhere in the country and the roads are nearly all potholes around here, I dont think i hit one hard but would definitely have gone into a few in the last few weeks

I know that feeling :) same here, more pothole than road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

a slow puncture....check to make sure it is pumped to the proper psi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement